karenh71867
13 years ago

#2 Is this 'Wabash'

#3 is this 'Life of Riley'?

#4 is this 'Havana Revels'?

#5 Is this 'Highland Games'?

#6 no ideas

#7 no ideas

Thanks in advance for any help with these!

Karen

sorry about the picture size!

Comments (9)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I love your #1. Please post if you find its name. These are 2 possibilities:

Amadora - Nichol'91
    Cloud Capers - Schreiner'66

Wabash has purple base foliage and its look alike Bright Hour doesn't. Check the foliage at ground level.

Life of Riley has only one look alike as far as I know - Art Center

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Very pretty. I love the one that might be Highland Games, and Life of Riley too. Wish I could help.
    Renee

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

#6 might be Quaker Lady.

• jsky
    13 years ago

Be sure and check the HIPS site. You can go to the link thru the AIS: irises.com. Then go to links/societies/Historic Iris Preservation Society. Once there go to photos. You might get some clues as to the older ones. I don't think #6 is Quaker Lady. Did you ever have the names of any of these?
    Good luck!

• karenh71867
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I've been checking them out. I have been looking at the HIPs website for ideas also. I read about 'Wabash' and the purple foliage at the base, so I will be checking that out. I just thought 'Bright Hour's falls were wider than my Iris.

#2 & 7 were given to me from my sister, and she didn't pay much attention to the names when she bought them.

#1 & 6 were given to me in swaps and listed as 'noid's, so maybe they will just stay no-id's, lol. I've given them the same name as the nice people who shared them with me. :)

#3,4,& 5 I purchased online, and actually the one I thought may be 'Highland Games' was marked 'Life of Riley' (which I wanted) The Iris I thought may be 'Havana Revels' was marked as 'Joyous Morn', but that can't be right, so I looked through all of the Irises that this gal sells, and thought 'Havana Revels' looked the closest. The Iris I thought may be the 'Life of Riley', was marked 'Ancient Echoes', but that (Ancient Echoes) bloomed next to it, where I had 'Parfait Bubbles' wrote down (which also seems to be lost) Either I really goofed up marking what I planted where, or the gal I bought them from wrote the wrong names on her Irises. I know for sure I had one marked as 'Joyous Morn' (it was a bonus Iris)

Well, I've probably confused everyone with that mess of an explanation! lol I do appreciate the help though! Thanks for looking everyone! Hopefully I will get some more ideas as to what they are.

• karenh71867
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Iris-gal, my possible 'Wabash' does has purple at the base of its foliage, so I will mark that as 'Wabash'. Why is it that some have the purple on its foliage? I have a few others with that, just wondering...

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

i think that your number 1 is CHAPEAU, i ordered it this year and that beard and fall colour to me looks spot-on!

on a couple of those i think that EARTHBORN looks similar not but quite the same. look it up, maybe it's a match.

the blue one at the end looks like NORTHWEST PROGRESS but has speckled standards. if you find it's name share it!

• karenh71867
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ashes_of_the_fire, 'Chapeau' does look like my #1! Thanks! I will mark it as a possible 'Chapeau'. I've been looking at the Northwest Progress also, and found some pics at Dave's Garden website with the same speckling, so I will probably mark that as a possible 'Northwest Progress' #5 looks like 'Earthborn' also, so I'm confused at that one! I'll put that down also. Thanks so much for your help! :)

Karen

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Chapeau is going on my list!

Purple foliage is just one of those genetic traits. There can be a small amount or all the way to large, depending upon the cultivar. Rather handy for some identifications. Like branching pattern.

Sponsored