Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merlie_gw

What is the greenest iris?

merlie
18 years ago

Hello all you iris lovers! I have never heard of a green iris and the discussion of Pride of Ireland prompted me to ask the question...is there a green iris out there? If not which are the greenest?

Thank you,

Merlie

Comments (20)

• njiris
    18 years ago

KENTUCKY BLUEGRASS!
    {{gwi:1030264}}

• Elizabethtown
    18 years ago

Snow Tree has a green cast and Tutu Teal is definitely teal.
    {{gwi:1030266}}

{{gwi:1030268}}

Roni

• merlie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Laetitia and Roni! They are all stunning!
    Merlie

• shilty
    18 years ago

ALFRESCO, KIWI CHEESECAKE, ENVIOUS and the SDB KERMIT are green.

• Sorrel_OK
    18 years ago

I have looked for each of these Irises but cannot find a one. Hmmmmmmmmmm now what? I looked on eBay and across the web. Has anyone ordered from Argyle Acres? Very impressive site they have.

David

• Elizabethtown
    18 years ago

AL FRESCO
    (J. Ghio, R. 1980). Sdlg. 74-74G. TB, 36" (91 cm), EM.
    Light to mid green; green brown beard. Social Whirl X Intuition. Bay View Gardens 1981.
    View here: http://davesgarden.com/f/go/33947/index.html

ENVIOUS
    (Maryott's Gardens, R. 1986). Sdlg. G10A. TB, 37" (94 cm), E-M.
    Heavily ruffled grey green; yellow beard. C138T: (Amigo's Guitar x Mystique) X E131A: (Pistachio x (Dialogue x Lemon Mist)). Maryott's Gardens 1986.

KIWI CHEESECAKE
    (O. D. Niswonger, R. 1998). Sdlg. 58-95. TB, 33" (84 cm), M.
    S. white; style arms and F. greenish yellow; beards tangerine. Violet Dawson X unknown. Cape Iris 1998.
    View here: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/59018/index.html

KERMIT
    (A. Ensminger, R. 1989). Sdlg. 85-25. IB, 21" (53 cm), ML.
    Chartreuse with blue blaze under beard; chartreuse beard tipped blue. 80-32: ((75-24 x Feathered Friend) x (Song of Eden x 75-24)) X Limpid Pools. Varigay Gardens 1990.

• Sorrel_OK
    18 years ago

Roni............thank you, that was nice of you to do.

David

• Elizabethtown
    18 years ago

Welcome David.

Does anyone grow Green Prophecy? It's a short TB but looks greenish from a distance.

Roni

• merlie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Roni,
    I have Green Prophecy. I think most all the irises listed here and the ones I am about to list certainly leave a green impression. Maybe I'm being picky, I wouldn't really call them green although they may be the greenest irises!

GREEN PROPHECY

AARDVARK ANTICKZ

GREEN QUEST

KERMIT

THORNBIRD

EASY MOOD

BAYBERRY CANDLE

• thurston
    18 years ago

This is Ima Kinda Lima (Burseen '91). It has more of an olive tannish cast to it. However, the edges reflect gold in the sunlight almost as if it were dipped in 24K gold.

Neil

• Elizabethtown
    18 years ago

I think the idea is that it's as close to green as they can go without going over the actual $ amount...oh wait, that's the price is right. But still you get the idea that there are no truly green irises. But then 50+/- years ago there wasn't a true red either. Still isn't but we are way closer now than ever.

Go figure. Glad I'm not hybridizing for green or red. Although, what would happen if you did get a green and a red and you crossed them to get a green/red with white beard. AHHHH! Christmas Swirl for sure! LOL.

• irisfan
    18 years ago

We had an iris at one time called Barley Green, but I don'i think it did too well.

• bar_bee
    17 years ago

My favorite green iris is Sea Monster by hybridizer, Lynda Miller, in Indiana - Miller's Manor Gardens,Roger & Lynda Miller,12788 E. 191 Street,Noblesville IN 46060, she no longer has it, but she might have other green ones.

The only place I know of, that has it, is in England. I placed an order, but they haven't gotten enough order to make it profitable to ship to the states. Their home page:
    http://www.irisofsissinghurst.com/default.htm
    Sea Monster's photo: http://www.irisofsissinghurst.com/image_gallery_04.html#Sea_Monster

Does anyone else know of a source for this iris? I've been trying to find it for two years now.

This is my first post here and I hope I did it correctly, if not, please someone tell me so I won't make the same mistake again. I see below a blank for optional link URL. Is that for my web site, or, the one I typed into this post. Maybe it was supposed to go below.

• mike_g_
    17 years ago

This is a photo of my SDB seedling from this spring. Greenest one I have seen.

Mike G

• potterycoll
    17 years ago

"Limelight", hybridized in 1952 by Hall is a consistant lime green throughtout with no brown or green. I grew this tall bearded iris in TX and it was my favorite. Got it from MI Bulb back in 1989, but they no longer carry. Anyone know a source?

• mypetalpatch
    16 years ago

I'm new and I want to see the images above. How can we view when it says: Image hosted by Photobucket.com? There doesn't seem to be a link or?

• Nancy
    16 years ago

I may be wrong, but I think that means that the person who posted the image originally has deleted the image from his/her album at Photobucket, etc.

• ilhadepaz
    13 years ago

potterycoll, I see that Bluebird Haven Iris Garden lists 'Limelight' in its catalog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluebird Haven Iris Garden

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

Anyone still on this thread have any green iris for spring trade 2013? I joined in 2012 and have many trades thru the year. Hope someone sees this so I can find a source for green iris or good recomendations. Favorite color along with browns. Happy New Year

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH