Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayimera

Inherited Walking Iris (pics & story).

ked1985
9 years ago

So my co-worker gave me her Walking Iris before she left last year. It overwintered in the office, and had a 'baby' that I cut off, rooted, and replanted in the same pot. I had never had an iris before, or a garden, and was a pretty bad green thumb. The plant started to brown at the tips and started loosing leaves. Our work acquired a 'guest' in the form of a mouse that was obsessed with digging in my iris pot. It started dying even faster!

I almost gave up at one point, not thinking much about it -- just that it was attracting our work mouse and I wanted it gone! I shoved it in a corner, alone and forgotten. It didn't get a lot of water and looked terrible. It was spring by now, and we had just moved into a house from a condo. So I noticed the plant one day, looking brown and sad (the 'baby' had died and part of the main plant had to be removed). I took it home and threw the plant -- pot and everything -- out back in a shady spot with late afternoon sun.

In a few months it perked back up and... stuff started happening! I've never had an iris before, what is going on in these pictures? Is that new growth at the bottom? And should I move it to a bigger pot?

This post was edited by ayimera on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 14:53

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Corso Construction LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in St. Mary's County