Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I deadhead irises?

Posted by edweather Zone 5a/b Central NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 14:44

Irises finished blooming a couple of weeks ago. Should I remove the old stalk? Thanks. Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I deadhead irises?

Yes, the foliage looks prettier without it. You can cut it off right at the base of the rhizome, since that rhizome will not bloom again it needs no foliage.

o

hosenemesis thanks. Should I just cut off the stalk or cut the whole thing off including the leaves too. I think I hear you saying to cut everything off, but won't leaving the leaves help to generate next years new rhizomes? Thanks. Ed

o

If there are already new green plants growing off of the rhizome just cut the stalk, leaves and all, off of the mother rhizome that has already bloomed. If there are no new plants growing off of it yet, I would leave the leaves on to see if new plants sprout. The problem is that when you cut the top of the stalk off water can get inside and rot the rhizome. I have never had this happen, but other people report that it happens in their climate.
Renee

o

Thanks good suggestion. I think I'm more likely to lose the rhizome to rot due to slugs gnawing at it from ground level, than water entering the stalk, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again. Ed.

o

How to remove the stalk nice and clean.
Get your hand right around the bottom of the stalk now bend it to the ground.Did it snap off? If not bent it the opposite way.This is how the pros do it.
Bill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here