Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scented iris

Posted by dmmandile z5ma (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 15:02

When I was a child my mother had a bed or Bearded Iris. This was about 40 years ago. You could smell them from the sidewalk. I have bought several Iris myself but none are very scented. Even the ones sold as historic highly scented don't seem to have as much scent as I remember and I have to get right up next to them to smell them.

What is a good source for highly scented Bearded Iris? It is time consuming to browse each description of the various catalogs and then still be disappointed with the results.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scented iris

• Posted by LaurieF z3b northern MN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 16:02

The two most strongly fragrant tall beardeds I know are SUGAR BLUES and ENGLISH COTTAGE, both of which also happen to be rebloomers.

o

Iris pallida and its descendents are very fragrant. Caprice is an example.

o
source

There are many sources for I. pallida and other historic iris: Argyle Acres, Bluebird Haven, Superstition... The World Iris Association has a page with vendors of historic iris.

Here is a link that may be useful: Iris vendors

o

Cooley's and Schreiner's have fragrant collections of iris.

o

I have an iris with large, delicately pale pink flowers, which smells distinctly like peaches. I have no information about it, so far, and have never encountered a peach-smelling iris before. There are photos of it on my Flickr site (am talking about the ones that are wholly a pale, pastel pink color, with no amber or umber edges):

Here is a link that might be useful: My Iris Photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here