Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eroctuse2

Siberians at the Hollingworth's Saturday June 6

eroctuse2
14 years ago

If you live anywhere near Williamston, MI (just outside Lansing) you have a fantastic opportunity this Saturday to view acres of Siberian iris!

Bob and Judy Hollingworth have agreed to open their growing fields (formerly Windwood Gardens) to the public and there will be in garden SIB Judges' training offered, starting around 2pm.

The Hollingworth's have been some of the most influential hybridizers in the SIB world for many years now and you're sure to see more new groundbreaking developments in their seedling beds along with all of their established plantings.

Having closed their commercial business this year, we may not have many more chances to gather in their gardens like this. It is an event not to be missed and I hope to see you there!!

Here's all the pertinent contact info:

Windwood Gardens

Irises at 5410 N. Williamston Rd.

Phone:517 349-8121 Cell:517 930-0180

Email: cyberiris@cablespeed.com

And here are a few photos (ridiculous copyrights and all) from the '07 tours:

{{gwi:1015725}}

{{gwi:1030506}}

{{gwi:1030509}}

Comments (8)

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

My goodness, that looks fantastic. I wish I lived close by to visit. Would love to see all those blooms.

• eroctuse2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it was an incredible day today and I'm sorry for anyone that missed out. It was the kind of trip that makes you want to scrap your whole garden and replant it with Siberians.

If you know me, you know I've got photos. They're nothing like experiencing it for yourself, but hopefully people will enjoy them. It will take some time to get them all processed, but I've already chosen my favorite photos and there are 250+! (I expect I'll end up culling a few more in the end, though) We ran into a friend there and she invited the friend I rode with and I to their home, so 40+ are from their garden as well. However, most will be Hollingworth seedlings.

I'll let you know when they're up at photobucket.

• mshadow
    14 years ago

Hurry, hurry! The suspense is killing me. I ordered 2 from them this year. Also, I sent Bob a picture of one of the awesome seedlings that you had posted from Region 6 spring meeting 2007 and asked if it was being introduced. He said it wasn't, but he would throw in a piece with my order. They really are so easy to take care of compared to the TBs. I am really glad you started posting Siberian pictures 2 years ago. Can't wait to see these.

Shadow

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Oh, I can't wait to see the photos!

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Me too, me too! I want to see the pictures too. I only wish I had been able to see this in person.

Shadow - Is it only locally that they sell?

• mshadow
    14 years ago

Rita, they used to have a catalog, it was not just locally. They are now retired as of this year and will be selling their new introductions through Ensata. I had sent Mr. Hollingworth an email when I heard about them retiring. They posted a reply to someone on the Siberian Iris forum that they "still had a limited amount of their recent cultivars, as long as you don't need any particular one," but that was in the middle of April, so I don't know about now.

Shadow

• eroctuse2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shadow,

You don't know how curious I am to know which seedling your getting a piece of... and which Siberian Iris Forum you're referring to...

• mshadow
    14 years ago

I am on my work computer right now, but tomorrow I will find the picture on your Photobucket and let you know which one.

Can't wait to look at your pictures! Can't do it now or I might get in trouble, and its killing me! LOL I work from 3 p.m. to about 11:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday.

I tried to post the link to the siberian iris forum but it was blocked by gardenweb. Said I couldn't post it because it was spam. I will send it to your regular email tomorrow when I am on other computer.

Shadow

Sponsored