Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treasureforu

iris questions from newbie

treasureforu
14 years ago

Hi all,

I don't know much about irises at all and need some help. My husband and I are not very happy with our bed of dayliles and I am thinking that I might pull those out and replant some iris. I think what we don't like is all of the foliage that are with the daylilies. Would iris be more like tulips and such? (I am sure they vary with the different types). They will be in sun most of the day in the south so would that work? I don't mind dividing the plants as they grow, so do you think these might make my bed look better? Any suggestions on an easy to find variety that I might like?

Thanks

Comments (3)

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Hi there,
    Tall bearded irises are not bulbs, so the foliage does not die back after bloom. They are much more like daylilies in that respect, so if you want foliage that disappears, irises are not your flower.

Your bed sounds like a good place for irises, since they need sun to flower. Too much water makes iris rhizomes rot, so if you have other plants that have high water requirements in that bed you would not want irises with them.

Many people interplant irises and daylilies since irises bloom early and daylilies bloom late. Like daylilies, there are varieties that rebloom in the fall.

You're talking to iris fanatics here, so of course we all think they would make your bed look better. I love iris foliage and grow some in shade that never bloom just for the foliage.

Buying irises is one of the most exciting shopping experiences there is, even better than buying shoes, IMHO. Now is the time to order online; they ship out in August. Some people recommend ordering from online nurseries in your USDA zone, but I believe you could order from any of the California or Oregon growers and have great success.

Here are a few tips:
    If you don't get fall frost, rebloomers are great.
    Some new varieties with lots of ruffles and lace do not open well in all climates.
    Not every iris species grows in every zone.

There's a link below to one of the online nursery catalogs. Have fun!
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris4u color catalog

• treasureforu
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Renee. I was hoping somebody might have a photo of the foliage. I don't mind some green around them but our daylilies look like monkey grass with day lily flowers. LOL I should probably thin them out and replant so that they wouldnt look so raggedy but was thinking something else might do better.

You are so funny Renee. I never would have guessed that you liked them so much except for your statment about how exciting and fun it is too shop for them. Amazing how attached gardners can get to their plants!

Anyone have a picture of the whole plant or better yet a small group of them?

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Hi treasureforu,

Here are a few photos of iris foliage in the landscape. In the first photo, you can see the sword-like leaves backlit.

{{gwi:1030806}}

My favorite all- around iris is Total Recall, the yellow one. It blooms from April to November here in Southern California. If you look at the photos over on the gallery side, I have posted more pictures with the whole plant.

After you decide on a few irises, you might want to post here and ask opinions of their bloom habits, etc. Good luck!

Renee

Sponsored