Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not another couple of ID's!

Posted by aseedisapromise z4.5 SD (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 16:19

I guess this is that time of year, when we all show our stuff and ask about the ones we don't know what they are. Are either of these identifiable to anyone here? The darker purple one is and early MB iris that was a mistake packaged in with a Superstition. The light lavender is a TB I rescued from the garbage behind the Episcopal church two years ago after they had thinned theirs out. It has brown papery wrappers on the buds, and nice fat yellow beards. The Episcopalians have a whole lovely row of them in front of their entrance.

EarlyIrisClose

3Earlyiris

EpiscopalIrisForWeb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not another couple of ID's!

Here's a link to pics of the Dykes winners. If you click on a picture a new window with data and several photos appears. A couple prior to 1950 look similar to your bottom pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://wiki.irises.org/bin/view/Main/InfoMedalAmericanDykes

o

Thanks for looking and then responding! I did look at the Dykes page and the ones I saw there were similar, but not quite it. It's not really important to have a name, but the one from the Episcopal church is really a nice one that maybe should have a medal. I enjoy it anyway. I'll keep looking around. Someone mentioned a page where you can look up old irises, and if this is an older one maybe it is there? I really don't know how to date iris, but I think the rufflier ones are more modern.

o

Could the first one be SDB 'Yankee Skipper'?

Sierra

o

Gee, I went through the photos from the historic iris list, and I think the first one might be "Black Magic". I think the second is maybe a pallida. That looks as much like it as anything. At least they must be closely related. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Magic

o

Gee, thanks for replying with an idea, Sierra. I really think after looking up Yankee Skipper that it is lighter in color than the one I have, the falls are more dark than my photo shows. The falls are also more standy-outy on Yankee as well. Thanks!

o

"Standy-outy." Heh heh. Funny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here