Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tallest Iris Ever!!!!!!!

Posted by timberohio 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 08 at 16:31

Hi all,

My Spuria has finally bloomed. I have 3 stalks currently blooming , But one has way out grew all the others.

This is a picture of it. My daughter (not real thrilled I asked her to stand next to them) is 5ft tall. It was the same size as her last week. As you can see it really shot up in a weeks time.

Spuria Iris

and here is a close up of the bloom.

Spuria Iris

I know this isn't as popular of an iris as the TB's, but it is my favorite. There will be about 3 to 4 more flowers that bloom on each stalk.

Thanks for looking
Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tallest Iris Ever!!!!!!!

How impressive!

I know a lot of hybridizers for most plants work toward smaller plants for the garden but I'm interested in very tall iris and daylilies that can be used at the very back of a border.

I know a few contrarians are working on that goal for daylilies but would like to know if any irisareans are working toward talls.

o

I love the spurias. Glad to see they are alive and well in Ohio.

o

Hi,
Beautiful flower. What is it name? Do you fertilize the spurias. I have some but they don't really bloom all that much.

Jwiist

o

The flower's cute but I really love your daughter's hair!

o

Berrytea I hope to get a few more of the taller spurias from Commanche Acres Irises this year, Different colors of course and hopefully in a few years be hybridizing to see what I can come up with.

Jwist be patient. I've had my spuria about 7 years. They were given to me and I had no idea what they were other than they looked like an iris. The 4th year of seeing 5 foot flags and no blooms I was ready to compost them. Well I got busy that 4th year and didn't get them dug up and then one day I was surprised with a beautiful bloom and I've been hooked ever since.

I don't do anything special for them. Other than weed around them and water them occasionally during really dry spells. Because they are so tall I have them planted behind a 1ft rock wall that is the back of one of my flower beds that borders our woods. It is also at the base of a hill so the irises get natural mulch from the trees in the winter. Every spring I have to remove about a foot of leaves that collect on top of them. Not sure if the decaying leaves are fertilizing them or not but they never bloomed for me until I move them to this spot.

Iris gal I'm glad there is someone else that love spuria. Was beginning to think I was the only one.

I love my daughter's hair also Alisande and she keeps wanting me to let her dye it. She's only 13, I tell her when she is 18 and moved out she can dye it what ever she wants. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here