Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connieinnd

Wow! My FREE Iris'es bloomed! (pics)

nodakgal
13 years ago

Long story short here is my DD and her DH bought a house that had Iris and Hosta growing in beds, they tore them out and tossed in the garbage!

I was heartsick when I heard about them tossing them. They did all the work on a week-end. DD emailed me and told me, I said ohmygosh don't throw them out with the garbage. (wasn't sure what I'd do with them and I know nothing about Iris. Nothing) DD said well hurry up and get there before the garbage men. I went! LOL I was driving up and the garbage truck was just pulling away. A whole garbage can of hosta and Iris rhizomes!!! Oh I was mad. Anyway DD scoured the yard when the cans were sitting and found a few that "missed" the can as they dug. I planted them. This was in April or May. They grew greenery that first spring, last spring I had one bloom! LOL I didn't know if I planted them wrong or what I did. The one sole flower was SO pretty. I thought these would be run of the mill yellow or purple Iris.

This is what it looked like last night at the rental house where I planted them! They are really tall!

I was told you peeps are great at ID's. Does anyone know what they are?

Comments (9)

• Nancy
    13 years ago

What a shame so many were trashed, those are lovely. Looks like you saved several though.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

This will be difficult to pin down. The more you can estimate the age the better (rules out some). Height (ground to top of top bloom). Yellow beards can photograph as orange. A side view photo taken from slightly above to try to show haft veining also helps. Side view photos most helpful.

What I notice in the top photo is how the falls flare (horizontal) and some curl under - do the falls stand out straight on new flowers and curl under with age? Or vice-versa?

One has very open standards - do they all behave that way? Or is a standard petal broken off? Knowing your iris' quirks will help when someone familiar with the reds tries to guess.

Saying all that here are a few names beginning with R & S. There are plenty more!
    Red At Night - Ernst'93
    Red Grapes
    Red Lion
    Red Masterpiece - Schreiner'04
    Red Zinger - IB Black'85
    Rubistar
    Spartan - beard darkish in some photos, flared falls
    Sultan's Palace - Schreiner'77

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Iris Gal. I have something to search and see now.

I was at oh boy I think it was called Iris City Nursery online, ohmygosh!!!!!! Beautiful iris. I had no idea they came in half the colors I saw. I really loved the orange!

The only thing I can really tell you about mine is the color is correct in the center, it is a deep yellow gold, not orange (at least in my opinion) and they are tall! Almost chest tall on me and I am 5' 3".

Thanks again! Off to search the names!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Nice color on your irises. I just bought Winesap, which is similar in color.

Renee

• pippi21
    13 years ago

They are beauties..did your DD not know what she had or what they would look like? When we moved it was in wintertime and there was snow on the ground. I found recent photos of the flowerbeds in bloom and my real estate agent made up a sales flyer so prospected buyers could see what they would be getting. Fortunately the buyers have kept most of my flowers that were perennials, with the exception of the barberry bushes and the climbing Cecile Brunner rose bush.

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pippi~ Nope DD and DH didn't know and didn't care. Old owners didn't say and really and truly the yard was a horrible mess. DD wanted it cleaned up and neater looking.

• marquest
    13 years ago

nodakgal, those are beautiful,

I also brought a house with a overgrown mess. But I love flowers so i have been letting things grow and deleting and moving as I get them identified, I understand if you do not have a lot of land that would be hard. I am sure your DD wanted it cleaned up fast.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I can understand your daughter's first impression. Wait till she starts putting out money for shrubs, trees and flowers, her attitude might change. When she ask you for cuttings or to share your seeds,etc. you'll know she's hooked on flower gardening. We all have had pass-along plants at one time or another in our married life. Some were receive because we liked the plant or flowers and some because it was time for the relative or friend to thin or divide their perennials. I guess we all want to put our own signature on our first homes.

• nancykvb
    13 years ago

WOW! Those Irises are beautiful! Thank goodness you got some of them.

Nancy VB

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!