Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So new to them, need recommendation

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 16:49

I have been trying to come up with an 'interesting' perennial (having flower unlike others in our garden) to replace a stand of coneflowers which did not return this spring. And it struck me, given the time of year, seeing so many wonderful clumps of irises out and about that this would be a wonderful addition to the garden.

But I must admit I know little about Irises.

Here is my spot:

- 4 hours of direct sun (bright shade otherwise)
- it will receive no supplemental water

I am looking for a tall iris, yellow and or white (red would be outstanding but maybe this isnt possible for an iris?).

Can Irises of some sort thrive in the location I am describing?

If so are there some highly thought of, easily obtained varieties that you could recommend?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 18:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So new to them, need recommendation

Irises do best with at least six hours of sun. Most of them don't bloom as much if they get less. That said, I do have a shorter light yellow historic iris that blooms it's fool head off in full shade, so there are varieties out there that could fill your spot. I don't know names off hand, though, so maybe I'm not much help.

o

You could try an iris, even though they prefer more sun, because they are cheap. If you want a brick or rosy red or burgundy there are numerous choices, but no scarlets.

Iris Albicans (cemetery iris) bloom in shade and seem to thrive everywhere, and they are white.

I'll let someone closer to your zone recommend a good yellow or white.

o

By far the best white iris for shade I've found is Iris tectorum alba - the white version of Japanese roof iris. It is probably shorter than you want, and not easy to find, but is a very good perennial. Established siberians can handle a fair amount of shade, but you may be pushing it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here