Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Surprise

Posted by aseedisapromise z4.5 SD (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 17:05

I took an iris rhizome from along the bike path in my town, I have to confess. I have to say in my defense that they never bloomed where they were as the riparian growth and grass had overcome them, and since I watched the city mow and spray and kill most of them with herbicide along with the wild rose, chokecherry and dogbane they were targeting for about four years, I thought I would save a few and see what they were. Only one of two survived their first really hard year after the herbicide. Then I had to move it here to my new place, and it grew alongside of other iris that didn't bloom the first year after being moved. This second year I had forgotten it, but it bloomed anyway. I think it might be Mrs Valerie West. What do you all think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Surprise

Looks like mine very old ones called Indian chief.

Hybridized by Ayres; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1929

o

Thanks for your suggestion. The HIPS site says about Indian Chief, "'Netted' standards are wire-edged fall color." Mine doesn't have this. What is also weird about mine that makes it not match much is the white rim on the falls. The photo is kind of washed out some. Here is another. We had some hail last night, so things are a little tattered. I also think that the beards on mine really come out farther on the fall, and the standards don't have the netting that Indian Chief does.

o

In all the pictures I've seen 'Indian Chief' doesn't have the blended fall edge. Oopa, see you've noted that.

Possibly 'Valor' - Nicholls'32

Here is a link that might be useful: http://wiki.irises.org/bin/view/TbUthruZ/TbValor

o

bump up

o

Sorry, I didn't see your suggestion until you bumped it up. Valor has the rim on the falls, but I wonder if it isn't more violet than the one that I have. The standards have a real brownish cast to them. It's so hard to tell from photos, cameras and photographers are all so different. Maybe it is just surrounded by all my purple iris, which make it look redder than it is. I will keep Valor in mind. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here