Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where should I store my iris until I plant them?

Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 17:29

Hello, I just received my order from Williamson Flower Farm of about 50 iris. Its going to take me at least a week to get them all planted between work, rain and searing heat. Where is the best place for me to keep them for the time being? I know with roses, I can't keep them indoors because of the a/c (spider mites, leaves dry out...blah, blah), but this is the first year I've had a large iris delivery. I don't want them to bake out in my garage, and I can keep them in the house, but I wasn't sure if the air conditioning was ok for them. Also, should I wrap each indivdual one in a damp papertowel, or are they ok as-is? Thanks for any help :)

Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where should I store my iris until I plant them?

You can store them dry in paper bags or the box or however they shipped them. Do NOT add any water to them, and it doesn't matter so much where you put them as bearded Iris are really tough. Personally I'd just set them in the shade somewhere, but away from where animals might bother them. In the house is fine too, and I can't imagine your garage getting so hot they would be damaged, because it takes a lot of heat to hurt them.

Have fun planting.

Chris

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 21:11

Well, I like that answer! :)

Thank you!

o

Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 0:25

Here's how they looked when they arrived...layed between straw(?). How long can I keep them in the box before damage is done?

Tammy

photo 20130615_213043_zps7d19ba4c.jpg

photo 20130615_212746_zps31e3d6d1.jpg

o

I'd plant them sometime in the next six months. People have kept them in car trunks for a year and still had some rhizomes survive.

Bearded iris rhizomes are not quite like any other plant in what they like and what they dislike. If you try to treat them like a normal perennial, you will probably kill them with kindness. They are adapted to a summer dry climate. That is when they are dormant, and when they want very little water. That is going to be one of the worst problems you will have with growing them - keeping them dry enough during the summer.

o

Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 17:25

So the 5 I got last week probably need to come out of the pots I planted them in...eek! I made sure the tops of the rhyzomes were above the soil level, but I guess I've probably been over watering them. Thanks for the advice :)

Tammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here