Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with New Iris Bed

Posted by val1 z4 UT (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 17:45

Hello,

I am putting in a iris bed between my driveway and fence this summer and would love any suggestions on how to prepare the bed. It used to be grass but has been neglected and is now mostly weeds. I plan to spray the weeds immediately. I am just waiting for a calm day to avoid drift. I believe irises will do well there because it gets sun most of the day. Right now my irises are in the garden behind the cedars. They are doing great but they are not easily seen unless in the garden (behind the cedar trees). I believe they will be finished blooming in a week. I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Valerie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with New Iris Bed

I too was hoping for some help. I've always had Irises but just kind of grew them with no knowledge about feeding them or their care. I just stuck them in the ground and they grew. I have about 30 varieties ordered and have been trying to get a bed ready for them. Any advice would be appreciated... I guess I'm looking for a mentor. Good luck with your bed.

o
RE: Help with New Iris Bed

If you look on the iris websites...Cooleys etc. they will have information on how to grow the irises. I did look up a local iris farm in my area and their advice to is fertilize three times a year...Valentine's Day, Labor Day and Halloween...cute, huh? I think I can remember that.
Anyway, they said irises are heavy feeders...I didn't know that. I think if you find a nursery or an iris farm in your area, they would have good advice on how to grow them in your zone...I am in California so it might be different than say Maine as far as a fertilizing schedule. As far as preparing the bed, I am not sure, but I just add lots of compost, make sure it drains well, add fetilizer to the bed as I turn the soil and make sure it gets a lot of sun! Good luck to you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here