Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting irises

Posted by batlowese OK (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 17:55

The local extension agent has suggested that I split up my irises so that they will grow flowers. They have not been split up since they were transplanted in April or May of 2008 and except for 2009 have produced flowers every year until this year. So I'd like to know, when is a good time to split them up and transplant them. Is it too hot to do it now? I am in central OK. I'll also be getting a soil analysis to see if that is a problem.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting irises

Iris go dormant in the heat, so now is probably perfect if you can stand to do it.
Do you really mean the were planted in 2008? So have only bloomed once since then? Iris do have to be divided often, 3-5 years depending on how fast they have muliplied, but doesn't seem like they should be at that stage yet.

o

Thanks for responding. When transplanted in 2008, they had blooms at that time, but did not bloom in 2009. Someone told me that they do not bloom for 2 years after transplanting and that is what happened--and they were beautiful blooms too. They are kinda crowded, now that I look at them, so I guess there'll be some diggin' in my near future.

o

If you are going to get a soil test, then I would wait until I got the results back, to see what I needed to do for the soil before I replant. I mean, that is what the soil test is for after all. I see any rejuvenation project as an opportunity to add add in organic material, and whatever nutrients are needed, only in the quantities needed and no more than that.

o

are they in absolute full sun???

of the 20 i added last spring.. half bloomed.. half didnt.. that is not uncommon for transplants of smaller pieces ....

check the link .. now is the perfect time for lifting.. moving.. dividing ... note that none of those pictured is in any shade ... fan the leaves if you do so ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Asking about sun is a good question. Where these iris are planted is a good thing to consider if your iris aren't blooming well. And I also have bought some iris that were not very large rhizomes, and they didn't bloom the following year, but took more than a year to get big enough to bloom. I don't know about Oklahoma, I usually do mine in August, but I bet this is an okay time to divide your iris. Wear a hat and soak your shirt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here