Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris novic--identify?

Posted by Mrs.Greene none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 18:34

hello! I am new to irises. Two falls ago, the neighbor gave me a bunch of rhizomes which I planted on the southfacing side of my house. They did not bloom last year, but are blooming this year.

I have NO idea what a single one of them are. Is it appropriate to post pictures to see if you all know? Or is there a good website or book I can look at?

I was amazed at the variety. Some are almost black, a very dark purple. Another is a reddish rust orange. Some are a common bright yellow. One is a beautiful lavendar blue with ruffly edges. Just gorgeous. One is purple on the bottom and white on top. Many purple, yellow and purple, etc....I had no idea what any were, and was pleased to see all the different varieties!

Do iris need to be fed? Should I cut back the foliage after they bloom? I tend to like to leave plants to their own devices, but happily accept advice. I guess perhaps a basic book on irises might be a start. Recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris novic--identify?

Hi Mrs. Greene!
It sounds like you got a lot of nice plants. You can start by looking at the American Iris Society web site. There are also a lot of iris sellers that have lovely catalogs with photos of irises, and you can compare yours with the photos. It's fun, even if you never can pin the name down.

You can post photos here and people will chime in with their guesses.

Irises do not need to be fed, but if you do, make sure it is a very low nitrogen fertilizer. They can rot from too much nitrogen. You can cut off any dead or diseased foliage, but leave the green leaves so the plant can store up energy for next year's bloom.

Kelly Norris just published a new book on irises called A Guide to Bearded Irises. It has been well received.

Some of the commercial growers with good websites include Napa Country Iris, MidAmerica, Blue J Iris, Snowpeak Iris, Iris4u... there are dozens of nice places to browse photos and buy irises. You can also check out the American Iris Society's blog World of Irises.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: American Iris Society Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here