Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Iris ID, questions for weak stems and seed pods

Posted by Sherry99 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 19:52

Hi all,

I am a newbie to gardening and this is our first year in this house. We have this beautiful iris in the backyard, but I couldn't find its exact ID.

Two other questions I have are: 1) what should I do now when most of the iris stems are falling over (pic3)?

2) Should I do anything with the seed pods (pic4)?

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!

Sherry

From Untitled Album

From Untitled Album

From Untitled Album

From Untitled Album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Iris ID, questions for weak stems and seed pods

Iris sibirica "Caesars Brother"

o

Thanks a lot, aquawise!

o

A wonderful plant! You can cut off the seed pods.
Renee

o

I have a few siberian iris as well. I just cut the stems when they finish flowering. In the fall I cut the clumps back to 4 to 6 inches.

Sierra

o

Thank you, Renee and Sierra!

If I leave the seed pods on, will they just drop to the ground and probably generate new ones next year?

For cutting the stems, how much should I cut back now in the summer? Do I cut again to 4 to 6 inches in the fall?

o

I cut the stems as low down in the folliage as I can. It is the leaves that I cut down to 4 to 6 inches in late fall.

The seeds will fall to the ground, but no quarantee they will germinate. If they do germinate, the new plants may or may not look like the parent plant. Not sure how long it takes to get flowers on siberian iris from seed, but it could take a few years.

Sierra

o

Thanks again, Sierra!

I do have a few smaller siberian iris plants near this big group. I don't know whether they came from the seeds, though.

Probably I should have said weak "leaves" instead of stems in my original post. Should I do anything to the leaves that fell down? Will they invite pests and diseases?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

o

Hi Sherry. The leaves on your plants look normal. Just leave them till late fall...then cut.

Siberian iris spread vegetatively.This means it sends out new plants from the main plant. Your clumps will eventually form a circle with nothing in the middle. You can prevent this by dividing your plants regularly....about every 3 years.

To divide cut through the middle of the plant with a shovel and just leave half the plant in that area. You can plant the other piece somewhere else or give it to friends.....or add it to the compost bin.

Not much can go wrong with siberians. They are pretty carefree plants as far as garden plants go.

Sierra

o

Thank you, Sierra, for sharing your experience! My clumps do have some empty space in the middle. Probably it's time to divide!

Thanks again!

Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here