Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris Multiplying But Not Blooming

Posted by val1 z4 UT (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 4, 09 at 20:23

I have a tall bearded iris that I purchased in a container last year when it was blooming (two fans). This year it is expanding (4 fans) but not blooming. Could I have planted it too deep? How deep do you plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris Multiplying But Not Blooming

Rhizome tops may be exposed. Possibly the 2 new fans will produce bloom next year. Low nitrogen fertilizer only.

o

That's strange. I have several that did not bloom this year as they have always done in the past. My husband dumped potting soil when cleaning out containers last Fall - on top of the Iris beds!!! I emailed Schreiners (where I got them) and Annette said if the rhizome tops are NOT exposed, they will not bloom - they are planted too deep to bloom. The ones that are blooming in another garden have their rhiz tops exposed. Now I'm confused.

Westy

o

Be patient. One of my common ones I got at a plant sale multiplied like crazy, I tend to plant too deep, but finally year 3 they put on quite a show. I thought I had a dud and wasn't about to uncover the rhizomes.

The odd thing is that when they multiply the natural way, no rhizomes show, and they bloom when they are ready. Maybe exposing a little of the rhizome causes them to bloom more quickly.

o

Sorry. I could have said 'Rhizomes tops should be exposed'.

Then there will be someone who strongly disagrees.

So I chose the 'may'.

Also when you have a plant, iris or bulbs, in a container, it is going to have a period of adjustment when transferred. The same goes for iris that are moved and/or divided. Doesn't mean you've done something wrong. The adjustment period will vary. If the plant looks healthy (and you're not overdosing with wrong fertilizer :-)) trust Mother Nature to do the rest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here