Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hensinthehouse

Blue Suede Shoes?

sherry Austin
10 years ago

I'm wondering if this could possibly be Blue Suede Shoes? The various pictures I've seen show different intensities of color. This is a picture of it's late October bloom.

Comments (12)

• aquawise
    10 years ago

Looks a lot like Victoria Falls.

• aquawise
    10 years ago

Looks a lot like Victoria Falls. Could also be Sugar Blues!

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok.. I posted a lighter blue some time back that someone else thought was Victoria Falls. Here's a picture of that one. This one has never re-bloomed. The first one does.

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

The first one is definitely not Victoria Falls.

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sugar Blues is described as having Tangerine in the throat. The beards are white at the tips and yellowing towards the throat. No orange.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Don't know but here are some other options.
    (the pictures I've seen of Blue Suede show the beard as pale blue-lav ???)

Bleu de Mer - ernst'88, picture at daves garden

Blue Montana Sky - nelson94, picture at daves

Cloud Baron - tompkins71, picture at daves

Columbia Blue - schreiner78

Mariah - schreiner95, picture at daves

Pacific Destiny - AM'99, picture at daves

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Iris_gal... you are a super sleuth! These are names that I hadn't heard before. I enjoyed looking them up, and finding a decent description was not easy on some of these.

I've disqualified most of these on beard color Bleu de Mer is the only one w/ yellow-tipped white beards.

Yaquina Blue is one I need to research more. I think the mystery continues for now.

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Definitely not Yaquina Blue. More like Shipshape.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Go Sherry go.

As Wieslaw said, Shipshape is a look-alike. Don't believe it is a rebloomer tho. At Dave's there's a picture by ginbyers showing the stalk. It doesn't look like any have 3 open blooms. I used to have Violet Harmony and it was one that consistently opened 3 buds at a time. Made for a shorter blooming season :-(

It's that fat-looking beard that confounds me.

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shipshape is on my possible list, however the beard doesn't look as fat in the pictures I've seen. Here's another view I found in my files that shows orange at the base of the beards.
    I've been looking at pictures on every grower's site that I can find trying to track this baby down.

Others I've considered are:
    *Blue Anew
    *Lake Reprise
    *Then Again
    Sapphire Skies
    Kelat Blues
    *Feed Back
    *Bethany Claire
    Cloud Baron

*rebloomers

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

You've got some good names.

Bethany Claire, Blue Anew & Then Again don't seem to match. And Feedback has a different fall drape.

Sapphire Skies seems to be a Japanese iris. I'm familar with Sapphire Hills which is more 'fluted' (wavey) & thinner beard.

Kelat Skies doesn't match. Can't find Kelat Blues with google.

Lake Reprise photographs as lavender so that makes me suspicious since yours photos as blue.

The one side view of Cloud Baron by doss at Daves seems to be the only picture on the web. I wonder if Daves has email between members like gardenweb does.
    Cloud Baron looks like a fat (dense) beard.

We need more pics of your iris!!! High resolution!

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did find one more picture online of Cloud Baron of a nice stalk w/ 3 flowers in bloom. It came up on a Yahoo search. It was also on Dave's garden. Not a very clear picture, but you can see the form looks similar.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County