Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

True Blue Iris? plus 3 of mine that bloomed this spring

aliska12000
13 years ago

I know we have talked about truest blue iris in another thread, but I'd like to see pics of yours that are the most blue, please.

Mariposa Skies (supposed to repeat in fall) is multiplying nicely, started with six.

{{gwi:1032327}}

Princess Caroline, was languishing in front, moved it last spring, and it bloomed nicely for me this year. Not shown are Immortality and Chasing Rainbows, nice this year but didn't get a good shot of them. Still waiting for Edith Wolford and Persian Berry (not blue, I know).

{{gwi:1032328}}

This isn't blue but is new and I rather like it, Celebration Song.

{{gwi:1032329}}

Comments (19)

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

English Charm bloomed this year, might be pretty, from American Meadows, tangerine falls rimmed w/white w/white standards veined in tangerine. Either something ate the buds or I planted them too closely under an aggressive rose brush that grows fountain-style and think the thorns may have damaged the blooms by the wind blowing the (senior moment) the the uh canes (had to look it up) . Those iris will have to be moved.

Also I guess I got Mother Earth last year, but it didn't bloom either, looks like it might be pretty, more of a light lavendar shade.

My Siberians all survived but didn't bloom this spring. Those were expensive. Got them from Joe Pye Weed.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

I'm new at this and don't have any blues, but wanted to say that your irises are beautiful, especially like Mariposa Skies and Celebration Song!

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They're right when they say not to plant them too deeply and leave a little of the rhizome uncovered. It's counterintuitive, but once they start to put down some roots, they will hold in place.

They also say to point the rhizome in the direction you want it to spread, not sure if it's true as I'm fairly new at it, too, but they're easy, don't require much water and tolerate poorer soil.

If it's a hilltop or slope, I make the rhizome face downhill to brace it until it takes hold.

Mariposa Skies came from American Meadows; Celebration Song from gilberthwild.com. The rhizomes from AM are usually larger, GHW's tend to be smaller and take longer to bloom. So I'm a little surprised Celebration bloomed the first year.

I also trim the fans in a V shape, shorter on each end and taller in the center, about 6 inches. Hope I am doing it right. Haven't bought any really expensive ones from the better places yet.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I don't really have much blue in my garden, but I love blue irises, so I ordered some last year. Victoria Falls and Clarence did not bloom this year; both suffered from bacterial rot and are just recovering.

I only have one "blue" iris that really looks blue to me, and that's World Premier. Here are some photos of the different "blues."

No Count Blues, a bonus from Schreiner's, is really pretty, but it's cool lavendar in my garden:

"Blueberry Bliss" was another Schreiner's bonus iris, and it's pretty blue in my mom's garden:

World Premier, supposedly a rebloomer, is the bluest I have grown.

And then there's "Feedback" which bloomed last fall the minute it went in the ground, and has not bloomed since. It's a purply-blue:

Renee

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Renee, thank you so much for posting those. That Blueberry Bliss and the bi-color World Premiere are about as blue as it can get, gorgeous!

You have some lovely planted areas there; everything works so well together.

I see I saved just one from the thread a year or two back, Babbling Brook, a nice medium blue. But I suppose it can depend on the soil ph and other conditions.

Of the ones I posted, I can see with my eyes that there is just a small hint of lavender in both my blue ones, blue enough though. Sometime I might like to try Schreiner's or I think it's Cooley's on the west coast, but I didn't do too badly with my first ones overall except some buttery yellow I bought at a plant sale, but they're ok, too. If they're happy, they sure multiply fast.

I just love iris, and there are so many beautiful varieties now.

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

My Iris ensata is blue. Does it count?
    {{gwi:422467}}

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are gorgeous, pitimpinai. They sure do count. What variety are they and where does one get any like that?

Thanks for posting those beauties.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

NO!

Your spectacular Iris ensata do not count. They are just too blue, and too beautiful. Neither do siberians. Nothing that refuses to live in Southern California counts. More specifically, only irises that will grow in my garden count.

Another rule: once you have posted the bluest iris that doesn't count, you have to post another, just to make up for breaking the rules.

Renee

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

lol

• karenh71867
    13 years ago

I only have a couple blues...

Sky Search

Noid Iris (poss. 'Northwest Progress)

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kalena, those are beautiful, too. I especially like the NOID one, usually don't go much for speckles, but that one makes for a stunning combo. Thanks for posting!

• mooseling
    13 years ago

I love blues! It's too bad that I can never get the colors of these blues to show up right in photos.

Aegean Wind

After The Storm

Babbling Brook

Daughter of Stars

Sailors Dance

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So you do, mooseling. Those are gorgeous. There's Babbling Brook again, and I especially like, well I like them all of course, but Storm, Brook and Stars are my favs.

I'll start a new thread because my iris - and plans - got ruined for now.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Daughter of Stars sure is stunning.
    Renee

• marquest
    13 years ago

I do not know the names because they are growing on the new property I brought.

{{gwi:1032338}}

{{gwi:1032339}}

{{gwi:1032340}}

• mikesc
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Blue is my favorite color in iris; there are many shades of blue, also. I grew Blueberry Bliss, also, and it was a phenomenal grower here in north coastal SC; however, the best deep, dark blue, to me, is Rippling River: it is stunning. A new mid-blue that bloomed for the first time for me this spring was Raging Tide: it was spectacular in terms of size, color, and length of bloom time. Mer du Sud is a very good mid-blue, and Double Bubble and many others are good light blues. World Premier is stunning: it's an indigo inky color on the falls. Daughter of Stars is actually purple--Clarence, a parent, is blue. Shore Patrol was a great marine blue color for me. Sea Power is stunning for its ruffled form. Sorry I am at work and don't have pics to post! :)

Mike in SC, Zone 8

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Marquest, your blues are really pretty. Nicely ruffled. I like the light blues so much. Mike- I'd like to see those fabulous blues anytime you're ready...
    Renee

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

The bluest iris is Sapphire Hills. It has never been beaten.

• gardenofeden777
    12 years ago

Just beautiful!! I love the Iris in mixed beds! That's how I grow some of mine.

Lol - Renee

Rena'

Sponsored