Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stolen irises

Posted by traceyc 9b Australia (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 20:57

Hello all

I'm a newbie iris grower in Victoria, Australia. Last year an old guesthouse nearby was being demolished and it's gardens bulldozed flat. So I couldn't help myself and snuck out over several winter mornings and dug up everything I could - bulbs especially and clumps of bearded iris. I extended some of my garden beds and added them all in. The bulbs all bloomed but not the iris. Then I read that they wouldn't likely bloom the first year after division anyway.

Now its the first couple of weeks of winter and they are all blooming! They are a deep purple with white beard..very lovely. I'm thrilled they are blooming but surprised as it seems very early. I haven't seen iris blooming in other gardens nearby at this time. Could any of you experts tell me if this is normal or not and what I can expect in Spring/Summer. Will they bloom again? Should I cut them back at any time? Sorry for my ignorance but appreciate your replies!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stolen irises

There is a common purple that blooms off season here also.

I would cut off dead foliage but not healthy --- it is feeding the rhizomes.

Sounds like you're hooked on iris :-)

o

There's a historic iris called Crimson King, a deep purple intermediate with a white beard, that blooms for me very early in spring & then again in late May or early June.

I guess it might bloom very late if it had been disturbed/transplanted & had missed or skipped its regular bloom time.

o

Thanks both for your replies. Yes irisgal, I'm getting completely hooked and am already eyeing my paddock for the possibility of new iris beds!!

sylvia you are spot on - my stolen irises are indeed Crimson King. I've read up on them and it seems they often bloom at strange times so the first weeks of winter may not be all that uncommon for them, especially given the season seems completely out of kilter so far. I have jonquils flowering already (Spring is supposed to start September - ie two and a half months away!), roses blooming and various other things happening that make me think somehow the garden has been forced into a false early spring.

I'll be interested to see if I get a second bloom on Crimson King..and when!

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here