Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buds rotting/ dying?

Posted by basilno 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 21:09

I'm new to irises- planted a new bed last fall- most of the new buds are dying before they bloom??
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds rotting/ dying?

Another picture

o

Sometimes newly planted iris that were planted late in the season don't have time to establish well enough to get a good bloom the next year. Then they kind of jettison blooms that they can't support. It looks like in the second photo like you have a fan laying down, which would indicate to me that there aren't a lot of roots holding things up. It doesn't look dry there now, but a really dry winter can make it hard for the rhizomes to establish as well. If the rhizomes suffered frost heave that can also make it hard. If you give them care this next year, then next spring they should be stunning for you.

o

Thanks- I was hoping that's all it is.
The bed did get put in late. I don't think there were frost heaves, but the soil depth is questionable (they're sitting on added dirt on top of newspaper on top of old weeds on top of ledge- the weeds and newspaper hadn't fully composted when the rhizomes were planted- hopefully they're breaking down now).
Should I cut the flowers off? Do anything else?

o

The iris are planted in a shallow bed that is rock, then weeds then newspaper then some dirt on top? How deep is this bed? My iris' roots go down very deep into the soil. If the bed is too shallow then your iris will fall over and need staked when they do bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here