Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris ID's, please.

Posted by wbonesteel 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 21:13

I'm not familiar with the different varieties, but I have a few of these tall bearded white irises growing in my garden, and more than a few of these lavender colored tall bearded irises, as well.

Edit: These were given to me last fall. I think the one on the right is plum pretty whiskers, but I'm not sure.

This post was edited by wbonesteel on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 21:24

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris ID's, please.

Was the wind blowing when you took the picture? It's too hard to tell the shapes and colors.

If you do a search on 'plum pretty whiskers' you'll see it has lots of veining in the falls banded by a large rim of light lavender.

o

I grow Plum Pretty Whiskers, and it is not like your iris. Here's a pic. Yours is a historic. You might want to check the HIPS site.

Here is a link that might be useful: HIPS

o

That Plum Pretty Whiskers is absolutely beautiful. Must add that to my want list. Nice picture.

o

HArd to ID your white. Hard for the purple too since the wind is blowing it, but it may be Lent A. Williamson. Check the HIPS website for a good picture.
Lent is a very old iris, one of EB Williamson's first and finest introductions in 1918. It is very hardy and well loved, can be found in many old gardens today. If you have Lent you have a real old classic there.

o

Yeah, the wind is almost always blowing, here. The irises came out of a bed that I know for certain is at least forty years old and probably much older than that.

That first pic of the white iris is about the best I could get w/o setting up a windbreak. Which didn't even occur to me, at the time. I plan to use them in conjunction with some white double hollyhocks and white glads in order to make a bit of a 'statement' in the front flower gardens. They'll be surrounded and/or framed with some color.

Thanks for your help folks! I do appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here