Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie5b

Historic Iris ID?

Julie5b
9 years ago

I have tried to find the name for this iris. I found them in the woods about a half mile from my house at an old foundation. There are 1-2 thousand of them. I just took about 15 off the path last year. 4 wheelers and dirt bikes run over them all the time so I saved them by bringing them home.

They have dark purple on the lower petals with white stripes toward the middle. The upper petals are solid lilac colored. Yellow beard. The smell is odd. It almost smells like a floral cinnamon. They are very tall but the flowers are about half the size of my other iris. The rhizomes are about half the size of my other iris as well (I believe my other iris is germanica).

They are beautiful but I haven't been able to match it up with any others I've seen online. I do believe it's historic as the old farm house was from the late 1800s.

There are at least 1000 of them at the old foundation. I also found daffodil narcissicus and snowdrops there.

I'm also wondering if there are any organizations that accept historic rhizomes.

Comments (8)

Sponsored