Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Is this an OK new iris bed?

bananastand
14 years ago

Hello iris experts! I am going to be transplanting some beautiful dark maroon irises from the wild area at the back of my yard to this box. Now here's the catch... I'm pretty sure the former owner used the box as a sand box. But, we've been putting extra soil from planting and edging projects into the box, and I mixed it all together just now. What I have is a mostly sandy, but passable soil content. I'm not familiar with what irises like, but I do know they are subject to rot... so I would assume a really sandy mix would actually be good for them since it's well drained. Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicion? I'll peruse over in the lily forums too, but I was thinking of putting the three iris plants I found in the center of this bed, and surrounding it by lily of the valley on both sides. Here is a picture of the bed and the soil content. Any suggestions are most welcome! Thanks!

Ignore that dead area behind the box... that was an old area where the former owner had a swingset, I believe. It's also mostly sand, however the weeds were furious there this spring. So, I hit it with Roundup and will be prying out the wood border there and restoring turfgrass to that area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored