Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veryzer

Funhouse irises--newbie ?

veryzer
14 years ago

I bought irises from a reputable dealer (Robin Shadlow) last summer and had many scapes coming up last fall. This spring...nothing. What's more strange is the shape several of my irises have taken this summer. A couple curve around towards the middle, are fused strangely a couple inches above the rhizome, and have ripples around the margins. In short, they are not typical iris fans. I've tried but failed to upload pictures, so can anyone explain the issue based on my description? Again, I in no way received bad rhizomes. Something else is going on, (which I might be blowing out of proportion).

As a sidenote, if I move irises, how can I do so without losing a blooming season? If I dig underneath the roots and plop the whole dirt ball into the ground would this be effective? Am I risking losing time if I actually break off new fans?

All reponses are greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Do scapes = bloom stalks?

The crinkled foliage happens some years on some of mine too. This distortion may be due to weather? Whatever it is, it doesn't continually happen. Nothing to worry about.

• happyday
    14 years ago

I moved all my irises either last fall or this spring, and the only ones that bloomed this spring were the ones that I moved with a dirtball intact around the roots.

• veryzer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, as I understand it that's the short term for bloom stalks. Thanks for the consolation and advice.

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

I get this on my irises too. I always thought it was due to thrips damage, but I never looked into it.

It seems strange that they bloomed in the fall and not this spring. Could they have gotten frost damage last fall when they were blooming? Some people have complained that rebloomers don't do well in cool climates because they get damaged when the fall bloom gets interrupted by a cold spell.

I move mine with the dirt if possible, as long as they are not in need of division. It's just easier than knocking all the dirt off for me.

Good luck this spring.
    Renee

• garden_of_mu
    14 years ago

There's two things that may be going on. The accordion edging on the fans is likely caused by temperature swings. We get wild ones here in the PNW in the spring and if a really warm day is followed by a cold night the fans sometimes bunch up from the stop-start-stop-start growth. Sometimes this can even get so caught up it disfigures and deforms the fan. It is usually a short term problem.

There is another phenomenon referred to as pinappling where the fan is more rounded than flat and the leaves bunch up vertically in the center. I've only seen it a few times and since it was on established clumps I just snipped the fan off so it wasn't at risk for rotting. I've never heard of an explanation for it but it doesn't seem to harm the plant overall.

If your iris bloomed heavy last fall it may have suffered from bloomout - when a fan sends up a stalk without any new increases the rhizome will die because it has nothing to feed it. I most often see this on newly planted irises, not established clumps. When this attempts to happen in the spring I leave the bloomstalks on to feed the rhizome until new growth appears. I saw this method mentioned on iris-talk years ago and I've not lost a single one since I started doing this. I don't know what would be the answer when it happens in the fall tho as the frosts are going to knock the stalks back before any increase can take place.

Hopefully if your iris lives long enough to get well established these issues will go away.