Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmcdmd

"Conjuration" Companion Iris

jmcdmd
10 years ago

I have a very small yard, and I'm going to be "simplifying" things a bit.

I love "Conjuration" Iris, and I plan to keep it. But I'd like a few more irises as well. Any suggestions for great iris companions for "Conjuration"?

Comments (6)

• sherry Austin
    10 years ago

Designing Woman would be beautiful
    also:
    Indian Sunset
    Notorious

• brettttt
    10 years ago

Hmmm. Interesting question generally. I'm wondering what it is you would want in a "companion" iris. For example, I can imagine that some people might want an iris that blooms about the same time but that is a different height and a contrasting color. Or maybe a couple of different ones that bloom at different times but that are similar colors. What makes irises companionable?

• jmcdmd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess I'm looking for a different color iris....one that would bloom about the same time....blend in rather than clash. For example....forget orange.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I see. The beards on Conjuration look kind of orangey to me, but that's out. Would yellow clash too much for you? Do the beards look yellow in the garden? Here is a list of ML bloomers in yellow:

Yellows:
    1. "Hello Happiness" is ML and a space-ager, so that might be cool.
    2. "Elmer's Buttermint" is a ML Space-ager too- yellow and white.
    3. Border Bearded 'Brighten the Corner" is yellow and white, and might look good in front since Conjuration is tall.
    4. 'Bertwhistle' is one of my very favorite yellow and white irises.
    5. "Abby and Me' is a space-ager like Conjuration, but it is midseason, not ML.

Violets
    As for violets to match the rim on Conjuration, you might look at
    1. "Double Oh Seven" which is ML and a space-ager
    2. "Teapot Tempest" is a border bearded for in front, and it is ML.
    I would plant both of these with it- Double Oh Seven in the back, and Teapot tempest in front. That way Conjuration would be ringed by a coordinating color.

Blacks:
    My personal first choice, though, would be violet-black irises with Conjuration (not blue-black or red-black). I would try
    1. "Batman" by Byers is a space-ager. I'd probably start with that iris.
    2. "Badlands"
    Here is a photo of Conjuration from the AIS Encyclopedia with yellow and black irises.

This sounds like a lot of fun- good luck!
    Renee

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

I have never seen Conjuration playing nicely with her neighbors at iris gardens. She's a diva. Delicate but with character! Lime green foliage plants would set her off nicely. What plants will be nearby in your garden?

She could be plunked down in a huge combination of lavender-blues, purples, purple-white plicatas & solid whites. But that's not your situation. She would look well as an accent plant on her own.

Here are a few more ideas. Haven't looked up bloom time.

lilac-blue 'Cowabunga' - orange beard echoes Conjuration's beard color.

solid flouncy pure white like 'Skating Party'

violet plicata 'Light and Airy' (falls mostly white)

'Fine Wine' (Schrein'08) which looks violet in most pictures and has lighter standards as well as fall edge (Schreiners calls it a bi-tone purple and their picture is wine red!).

• jmcdmd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I think "Iris Gal" is right. "Conjuration" probably stands best on her own. I'll just plug some other favorites here and there about the yard rather than plant another iris next to "Conjuration".

Sponsored