Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1.00 walmart bargan iris

Posted by drexler Z5 PITTSBURGH (relxerd@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 22:59

I found a package of bearded iris at Walmart today. Not that I needed to add more planting to my addiction, but I just had to save them. They still had some green on them so I though what the heck!

They are a mixed color. But, I would really be happy if I could get them to bloom next year. What can I add to these Iris to get them growing fast and healthy? Any special type of plant food. I know I already have 4 different types in my beds but I just couldn't resist. If I could just get a few more colors.. (isn't that how it always starts haha) I'm curious to see what you all think. Thanks :)

Clyde

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1.00 walmart bargan iris

These irises are probably left over from last fall's sales. Just getting them into some soil with enough moisture to rehydrate them is enough. They probably are too delicate at this point for a dose of fertilizer. About these irises being a bargain, they may be if you are interested in color only. Most of the time when what's inside the box blooms, they don't remotely resemble the pictures of named varieties on the outside. That's been my experience.

o
RE: 1.00 walmart bargan iris

Clyde,
I'm no expert, and excited for you. I always love finding plants on clearance, and yes, you can never be sure what they are but it's always fun.

I think I would do what wmoores suggested, just plant them and cross my fingers.

Good luck

Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here