Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Is there a pill I can take?

hosenemesis
14 years ago

That would end my obsessive-compulsive surfing of iris web pages?

I can't get enough. I make lists of the ones I want and then look some more and find more that I have to have. I am so indecisive that most are sold out by the time I decide to get them. Maybe that's a good thing: I have a small garden.

Does anyone else have this disease? Perhaps we can form a 12 step group or something.

Renee

Comments (13)

• tabarhodes
    14 years ago

ROFL!!
    I can totally relate. It's definitely a disease, I'm running out of yard! I haven't made a list yet of the ones I want, I've thought about it though.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

In my opinion there is no cure for addiction to haveing to have whatever plant forused on, in this case iris. I speak from experience as I have multiple plant crazies myself. I am well known for the rose crazies and the daylily crazies. Started with the bulb lily crazies just last year and this spring came down with a severe case of my latest crazies, the iris crazies. So much so that I had a new 7 foot square future iris bed made in the middle of what small amount of lawn there is left.

My problem is that I just order. Then AFTER I have all these plants bought and paid for, I wonder were I am going to put them.

I feel there is no cure for the crazies but since I am very happy with my garden, I don't want to be "cured" :-))

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

nyr hit the button;
    it's just like any other addiction,
    you can only get "better" if you really *want* to get better.

so.....

if there's a cure, nobody on this forum wants to know what it is!

"Hi, my name is Renee, & I'm an iris-o-holic."

"Hiiiii, Renee."

• madeyna
    14 years ago

I seem to have the same problem. I should just be happy tending the plants I already have but keep finding my self on the iris web sights making lists of new wants. I keep trying to tell myself to buy what I want but to stick to one color but it doesn,t work because I find other colors that I seem to have to have .

• mshadow
    14 years ago

If you find something that works, please let me know. Already in trouble this year. I have 55 coming and haven't even begun to prepare where I am planting them. Haven't told hubby yet. He is already yelling about the ones I have, says I have too many. Maybe he is right, but I just can't help myself!!! Oh well, I still have 2-3 weeks, so I guess I had better get busy. I think the only cure is to not look at the iris forums, don't look at any iris web sites, and don't get any iris catalogs. Maybe I should just get rid of my computer. LOL.

Shadow

• daylilyluver
    14 years ago

I just received my iris orders this week (26 new arrivals). I've already started next years list (that's bad).

I've also started my list for Clematis, daylilies, and other perennials.

• daylilyluver
    14 years ago

And i don't want a pill...i don't want to be cured!

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Sighn me up for the pill I need to be cured. I,ve got the hydrangea crashys now. My want list for those and iris are huge. I have started on two new beds for next years purchases and stole alot of garden space for this years purchases. At least I seem to be over the rose crasys for now.

• irisfan_grower
    14 years ago

this post is hilarious....lol....whats bad is they keep coming up with new breeding and then you want more...everyone wants the most popular named ones and then there are rebloomers.....i told my husband i wished i could turn the whole yard into a flower garden...who needs to mow...cant do that though until kids are all grown lol and then grandkids but we will see maybe take 1/2 the yard ...i will give up 1/2 garden for grandkids lol

• madeyna
    14 years ago

I have 3 acres to fill. The real problem is we are planning on moving in the next year so I shouldn,t be buying anything or making any new beds. Its gotten so bad that I have been making list of what friends and relatives would have room to store plants for me and how far I would have to drive to take care of them. I have been collecting pots to transfer them in when the time comes. This must be a addiction. Heather than something like smoking I guess. At least thats what I tell my husband when he rolls his eys at more new plants.

• daylilyluver
    14 years ago

@madeyna:

This year was about Hydrangea's too for me. LOL I brought 3 new one's home, Angels Smile, a varigated leaf one and Shamrock. I'm looking at "Lady in Red" as I fell in love with the red stems.
    Can you imagine a 5000 sq foot lot? That's what I have with the house on it and a 100 foot double wide driveway. Doesn't leave lots of room for plants so everything (mostly daylilies and iris) is planted very close. There are various other perennials here and there in between.

oh, three acres, the things I could do with that!!!!

@ ALL
    Does anyone grow RELIABLE reblooming iris? we have had rain for may, june and just set a record for the wettest july since like 1956. I don't think I have any rebloomers but what are the chances of rebloom in zone6 anyway???

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know if anything reblooms in your zone, but Total Recall is a machine. It never stops blooming here in California. I have flowers on it now, in triple-digit temps.

I planted eight more rebloomers yesterday- we'll see how they do.

• daylilyluver
    14 years ago

thanks Hose, I'm going to go look it up now! :)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery