Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westy1941

Transplant Now?

Carole Westgaard
13 years ago

I need to move all my iris because the dang trees got so big they're now in shade. I want to plant where they are (hosta). Is it okay to move them at this point? I know August is the preferred time of year but I figured if I take enough soil they will survive, no?

Westy

Comments (10)

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

they should be fine, i took pieces of some while in bloom last year and they survived, and i've also already dug and divided a couple of clumps that i have. as long as they're done blooming it really doesn't matter. i find the earlier you do it (especially if they're not getting enough sun, or are over crowded) the better results you'll see the next year because they'll have more time in their new and better home.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

if you were to go to an iris farm .. they would dig them at bloom .. for you to plant immediately ...

so if yours are bloomed out.. now is the time ...

and you know about fanning them on transplant????

ken

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ashes - and Ken. Yes they're done blooming. And I always wondered why you have to cut them into 'fans'. I've always done that but figured it was aesthetic ... no?

Good to know I can move in bloom, too! Sometimes I forget the color when I dig and give them away - or transplant - or store.

Westy

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

cut back.. because there is too much green for the upset roots to fully water ....

you are reducing stress on the transplant ...

i did some last week.. then got 1.5 inches of rain .. and the darn fans have already grown an inch .... i suspect they are also going to be growing roots like there is no tomorrow.. so why waste energy on the old leaves ... but i am no expert on iris growth ... so if i am wrong.. i will stand corrected ....

ken

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

Pay attention to ken_adrian especially if you are in zone 4-6. He is getting great results.

Cutting the fans at transplant is standard procedure for transplanting (or so I've been told). It works for me even in 100 degree Las Cruces, NM temperatures.

Allowing the leaves to remain and pulling away the outer leaves as they brown seems to be the way to go for established clumps that you don't plan to move. It worked in Rochester, NY before I moved and it seems to work here in the desert.

Kristee

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

IrisNut - I didn't know they would grow in 'high desert' which I may have to relocate to....daughter lives in Boulder now. I'm kind of SICK about it because I know the soil (clay) and know how much amending and watering I would need to do. But I never knew iris would grow there!!! Thanks Ken, Iris nut, and Ashes - very helpful info. I have lots to do in the next few days!!!

Westy

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

Raised beds might be an easier solution.
    I've always been fortunate to be gardening in sandy soils.

Kristee

• mooseling
    13 years ago

I'm in Denver, so we've got clay soil here, and Irises do great here. At least the bearded and spuria. I'm trying an arilbred as well, which seems pretty happy. But the clay soil isn't too big of a problem considering that it never rains here. Funny that it's actually raining a bit now as I'm typing that, but it's mostly true. So with very little water for the soil to hold, it's not quite as bad as you might think. With all the heat and sun here, I think it really makes this a pretty good place for to grow Irises. Now, if you do amend the soil or stick them in raised beds, you can get better results, but this is only my second year doing Irises in raised beds and they were doing well before. I have more trouble with stuff that likes the water here.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

we have really clay soil here too, luckily my beds are raised and had lain fallow for at least a year before i put them in and i added firpit ashes and lots of leaves and i have no problems, my irises are loving it!

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

Lowell Baumunk does arilbreds in Denver at Iris Colorado. I saw one in bloom in Janesville, WI while I was visiting my kids and grandkids in Watertown, WI. It was beautiful.

I have heard that Boulder has a garden called Long that grows iris. No matter what you choose to do (amend native soil or make raised beds), I think you will grow beautiful iris.

Iris are so easy in full sun conditions. I have never heard of a place in the US that can't grow iris.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz