Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani0025

To late to plant?

Dani0025
10 years ago

My local wal-mart put some iris bulbs on sale and I was wondering if it was to late to put them in the ground? If I buy them would they be ok stored in a paper bag, perhaps in the closet? Was also looking at some Gladiolus....if anyone had any info on those as well....

Comments (11)

• pdsavage
    10 years ago

I just dug some up and moved them to another spot so I don't see why not.
    Can't say about the gladiolus since I have never grown them.
    It does take 90 days after planted to root, grow, bloom, and store enough energy for the next spring.
    but need to be dug up if your in zone 7 or colder they have to be dug up. Thats why I don't grow them to much of a pain to dig up every year.

• aquawise
    10 years ago

It is never to late to plant Iris. They do well anytime until the ground freezes. Right now is as good a time as any.

• Dani0025
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im in upstate ny, I believe its zone 4. When I moved in to my current house there were a lot if purple bearded irises, and I leave them all winter. Is it just this coming winter I would have to dig them up, or should I always. Im sort of new to this haha :)

• Nancy
    10 years ago

I think pd was talking about the glads, iris will not need to be dug for the winter. Do check the iris out closely before you buy, I have seen some REALLY dried out iris rhizomes. Doesn't mean they won't grow necessarily, but might be a couple of years before you see bloom. And don't count on them being what the label says, WM is getting worse all the time about inaccurate bulbs. At least around here.

• pdsavage
    10 years ago

Sorry should have been a little more clear I tend to ramble...
    It's the Gladiolus that need dug up every year if it gets to cold Iris only need dug up and divided when they get to crowded.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I think it's too late for the glads. I wouldn't buy them.

Check the irises carefully to see if they are too brown, there should be green on the leaves. Do not imagine that they will bloom the same color indicated on the package. Walmart buys irises from bulk processors who mislabel the irises, so they don't generally bloom the color promised on the label.
    Irises are really cheap online, so you might want to buy from a reputable seller and get ones you really love.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Society List of Sellers

• Dani0025
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The irises arent rhizomes, they are bulbs..
    does that make a difference? So they are just kind of brown and crispy looking...
    As far as the color is concerned I just want something other than purple :)
    If you could point me in the direction of some good/cheap sellers I would appreciate it. I searched on ebay and all I could find was a lot of bulk options and I really dont need 50+ plants lol

• Dani0025
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The irises arent rhizomes, they are bulbs..
    does that make a difference? So they are just kind of brown and crispy looking...
    As far as the color is concerned I just want something other than purple :)
    If you could point me in the direction of some good/cheap sellers I would appreciate it. I searched on ebay and all I could find was a lot of bulk options and I really dont need 50+ plants lol

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Well, if they aren't bearded iris, I would say that would be even worse if they are brown & crispy. Maybe they are iris reticulata? Which are probably done for.
    Send me an email

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

They must be Dutch Irises if they are bulbs. I would not buy glads or Dutch Irises at this time of year regardless of the price, since it is the wrong time of the year to plant them. Van Engelen/John Scheepers is pretty cheap for bulbs, and they will ship at the right time of year.

• Dani0025
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice :)
    Ive been looking online and hopefully will pick SOMETHING soon haha

Sponsored