Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenofeden777

My Napa order arrived today! (pics)

gardenofeden777
11 years ago

Yay my Napa Country Iris Garden order arrived today! I ordered this I believe in March (if I remember right) and

forgot just how many were on my gotta have that list. I ordered 18 and received 2 bonus 1 is a 2012 intro. To satisfy the curious I ordered (& received all with no subs, woohoo)

1 of each

Louisa's Song

Mister Flounce

Jurassic Park

Aardvark Lark

Chocolate Moose

Dance Hall Dolly

Decadence

Drinks At Sunset

Grape Expectations

Grizzly Gosling (my #1 wanted & it has 2 lg. plants on it!)

High Master

Moonlit Water

Peekaboo Zebu

Who's Your Daddy

Solar Fire

Squid Squirt

Spiced Tiger

Upper Hand

Bonus Iris - Spades (Painter L. 2008)

Under The Boardwalk (Painter L. 2012)

Feel Free to list your Napa order here as well. I will do individual posts for all my orders & everyone is always

welcome to post pics or whatever on my posts!

{{gwi:1033347}}

Under The Boardwalk bonus has purple based foliage. My 1st purple based Iris.

the back of Under The Boardwalk

A comparison of regular foliage versus purple based.

And my Grizzly Gosling double! (I will be praying this one does well Renee!) lol

Comments (17)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I love that pbf. I have half a dozen with it, and the foliage is very pretty in the garden.

Don't be heartbroken if Decadence is fussy. It's fussy for a lot of people.

The luminatas are weak growers, so give them time.

I'm going to look up your bonus irises!

Renee

• onederw
    11 years ago

Love the purpulicious (is that a word?) foliage! And what beautiful fat and vigorous fans with extensive root systems they all have! Your photos are a great endorsement for the folks at Napa and the quality of what they're selling.
    I also like that they have stapled a tag to one of the inner leaves of each fan. I've received shipments with the name of the iris written in magic marker on one of the outer leaves--the first ones to wither away after planting. Leaving me with a NOID, at least until they flower. Which is a reminder to me to get out my copper plant tags and label what I already have!
    Kay

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    11 years ago

My Napa order came last week. 13 rhizomes total.
    Got Sorbonne (Keppel 2009) and Edge of Glory(intro) as extras

Second the warning on your luminata's - have both of those and they need special care.

Decadence (and most other Blyth's) has been a strong grower here, my climate is very similar to Barry's

Upper Hand has got to be my latest blooming Iris ever.

11 years ago

my order for grins
    ADOREE
    BIRTHDAY GIRL
    CARNIVAL CAPERS
    DRADY
    GRAND CLASSIC
    MAMBO ITALIANO
    MARCHING BAND
    MONMARTRE
    RAINY RIVER
    STAR APPEAL
    SPICE TRADER

• aquawise
    11 years ago

MY NAPA order came today as well. Big beautiful and some had a new start attached. LOVE them. WOW!
    American Classic
    Aardvark Lark
    Alpine Journey
    Chevalier De Malte
    Comfortable
    Exclusivity
    Gracious Curves
    Halo Everybody
    Winning Edge
    Stan Coats~~gift

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Chad, ADOREE and DRADY were on my short list, but I got there too late.

Aquawise, you will have to report back on Gracious Curves. I am trying to grow Ringo, but it is a weak grower, and I wonder if Gracious Curves is not a good replacement. Stan Coates! Last night I was wondering just how blue that iris is. I can't wait to see your photos of it.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the delay in responding I have been crazy busy in the garden as we are having such nice overcast days. My husband just said it has been years since we had a rainy July, and true it has been.

Renee - Hum... I didn't know this about the luminatas. Thanks for the heads up and the encouragement. I will give them time and hope they do well here. 6 cultivars with PBF wow what are they? I wonder if a hybridizer has ever tried crossing the variegated with the PBF? How awesome would a tri-colored iris be!

Oh so glad you started that other post on "what doesn't grow well for you" I have 2 for sure to put on the list.

Kay - Sure purpulicious can be a word if you want it to be! Besides I like the sound of it. lol

Chad - Thanks for listing what you bought. It is interesting to see others taste in plants. Mambo Italiano & Montmartre are so awesome. I was going to add those along with another 10 or so others to my order but I had so many ordered from every where that I am really ridiculously overwhelmed. (Why oh why do I do this to myself! Just say no Rena'!) lol Just planted Birthday Girl she's so ruffly - can't wait to see it in person.

Aquawise - Aardvark Lark is liked by most of us, Renee ordered it too I believe. And I love Halo Everybody also. And in actuality I love most of Napa's collection. They have great taste! And since we ordered from them I guess that means so do we! lol It is fun to look up everyone's orders! Thanks for sharing your list!

Rena'

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Napa also knows how to market- they have good, large photos and a website that is easy to use. I can't see the irises on MidAmerica's new site- and it takes three clicks to get a good sized photo.

The PBF plants I grow are No Count Blues, Rose Teall, Walking On Air, and a few others that I cannot recall offhand.

• aquawise
    11 years ago

This was my first time ordering from them. I must say that I was more than pleased. The Postal service sucked!! They mailed the box on Monday and it took till Friday to get here. It sat in the California sorting facilaty for 3 days.
    I will order from them again. very pleased with there plants and service.

11 years ago

A PBF varigated iris is Canadian Streaker from Chapman. It's extremely variable.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh wow chad I have that one on order. I will go see what I can find on it. I didn't know that it was pbf also. Do you have it? Can you expound on "extremely variable"? I found a list somewhere (?) of variegated iris that I hadn't heard of before and wrote them down. I have the oddest hang up with wanting to get one of every one there is (bearded). lol Have you heard of 'Pink Marble'? I have been trying to find that one for a year now - to no avail. I found a seller that has it but they said it hadn't multiplied enough to sell any of it and they probably wouldn't sell it for at least another 3-4 years. :(

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

O.K. Chad went and read all I could find. I see what you mean about extremely variable now.

Renee - Thanks for listing the pbf iris that you have.

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

There is a list of pbf and purple rhizome iris at the link below. I don't know anything about this site to know if it is a good one or not, but I was looking up things about pbf since I didn't know anything about it and found this.

Here is a link that might be useful: pbf iris

11 years ago

If you like the PBF a fun fact is that some set purple seed pods, for example Mind Reader.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Renee - That is great news on the Persian Berry. I'll not give up on it, I'll buy another and put it in a different spot. Thank you!

aseedisapromise - Wow, my mind is boggled at how many pbf iris there are on that list. and the author said that it is "in no way complete!" Awesome I can't wait to see which ones I might have on order from the list. THANK YOU!

chad - That is interesting, hum I've never heard of that. Thank you!!

Rena'

• jeanrichter
    11 years ago

Superstition Iris Gardens sells Pink Marble. They don't have a web site per se, but you can get contact info off of their Webshots picture site: http://community.webshots.com/user/rickt103

Good luck trying to grow it - it's died on me three times :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: Superstition's Webshots page

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Jean! Awesome I will be printing this list.

Also, check out the tri-colored Iris on my other new post
    'Tri-colored Iris Quite The Same (In Blue J Order today)'

Rena'

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm