Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

'No Count Blues' Today

hosenemesis
11 years ago

Freak rebloom (late bloom?) from 'No Count Blues' today.

{{gwi:543326}}

Comments (8)

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Yay for rebloom! And it is so very pretty. Do you have any that rebloom more than twice for you Renee?
    Rena'

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yes. 'No Count Blues' is not a reblooming iris. I think our strange weather freaked it out.

My best rebloomer is 'Total Recall'. It blooms all of the time, from March to January, with a short break in June, July or August, depending on the weather. 'Recurring Dream' is a close second. It bloomed four times (at least) last year. I lost count. 'Feedback' is another super-bloomer. These are all Hager irises.

Frequent Flyer bloomed three times for me last year, but it gets lots of fans and few flower stalks, so you have to be willing to sacrifice lots of space to it. Jennifer Rebecca has bloomed three times, but it's not a great performer for me. I used to have something called 'Grandma's Purple Flag' that bloomed all year. It was a short little iris, and it proliferated so rapidly I gave it all away. I couldn't keep up with the division. But if it's bloom you want, that's the iris! I don't know if it's an officially introduced variety, but you see it for sale here and there.

Renee

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Thank you Renee for all of the great information! I have 3 Grndma's Purple Flag that I received in a trade. They were about 1/4" (NOT a typo) when I received them last fall. I planted them and they grew a little, went dormant for the
    winter. Reemerged in Spring (I thought they had died) and have been growing well but not near blooming size I think.
    Not that I know what blooming size is for that one mind you.

That's great news on No Count Blues as it must have remontancy in its genes. It sure is pretty. I bet it is even much prettier in person. Because our summers are so hot and long I have heard that a lot of cultivars may rebloom here that don't normally rebloom elsewhere.
    We'll see...

I have Total Recall on order because I had read in one of your posts on how much it bloomed. I have 2 Immortality planted and they are growing slow as a slug. Recurring Dream is growing and multiplying like crazy. I have 2 Feedback planted also, they are both growing well. But I've not seen this one bloom either. I hope that I get a fall bloom on both of these cultivars as I've not seen a bloom in person.

I bought a Persian Berry one year ago and it bloomed beautifully this Spring, however it has not multiplied at all and I'm thinking of moving it but I think it might just up and die if I do that. So I am going to order another and plant it in a different spot. I figure if 2 die that were planted in different places then they will be on my X list as cultivars not to plant here.

Thank you very much Renee!

Rena'

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Very pretty! I love blue iris & that looks like a nice one.
    I had a weird rebloom from Dashing. WE've had really high temperatures here for almost 2 weeks. Temps over 100 & 5 or 6 days between 108 to 112. Right in the middle of that period, Dashing had several rebloom stalks. The color was lighter than in the spring, but still looked nice. I've NEVER had rebloom in July before, just doesn't happen here.
    {{gwi:849954}}

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Boy Dashing is a fitting name for that one it's beautiful. I love seeing all the lines in it. Renee's No Count Blues Iris
    just glows against the background.

We were in such a treacherous drought but for 3 days now we have had great heavy rainstorms. A tiny reprieve for my water bill. So our temps which are always triple digits now have been much cooler and it's overcast, nice weather to garden in. So sorry to hear about your temps. when it's that hot it is too hot too do anything outside.

What's the weather like where you live Renee?

Rena'

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Freaky good. It's scaring me. We just had our first heat spell of the year- only lasted three days and was not severe. Tonight as I type it is RAINING in SOCAL. That is just not done. I don't think it has EVER rained in July in my whole life. I had to wake my husband up as a witness.

The problem this year has been fungus- fungus that we have never seen before. It was not a very good year for iris bloom either.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Wow, that is something is it humid where you live? Fungus ugh that's terrible. I saw someone else writing about fungus problems as well. So sorry to hear about that and the not so good blooming year for iris.

Rena'

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Those are both pretty blue iris. The heat has been really intense in KY I was noticing on the map. Well, just about everywhere is having weird weather this year. It is good that we like such a tough kind of plant as iris. My son is riding up the Pacific Coast Highway on his bicycle, and he phones and tells me how cool it is.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County