Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed pods on Iris?

Posted by lost_in_boston 5/6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 11:11

I have a couple of what appear to be seed pods on a lovely Iris that I missed deadheading. I checked the FAQs, but haven't been able to find any information about this -- is there anything I can do with these to get new "starts" -- and if so, does anyone have suggestions or recommendations on how to do it? Or can you direct me to a site that might have this information?

Thanks so much

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed pods on Iris?

You can let the seed pods mature and when they start to turn brown and split on the sides, collect the seeds before they drop to the ground.
There are a variety of different ways to deal with the seeds, but you need to dry them out then subject them to cold. Some people put them in the refrigerator soaking, some put them in the freezer. I think the refrigerator works best for me, but I am not an expert on this.
If you plant them in a pot and leave outdoors during the winter, some should sprout in the spring. Some will not sprout until the following year!
If you are patient you will grow an iris that is brand new! No one has one exactly like it, and it will be your own creation. What will it look like? There are so many variations on color that it could be any of many possibilities.
Good luck,
Laetitia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here