Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple/Blue/White/Pink Iris Suggestion for My Backyard

Posted by jmcbackyarddigger z6b So IL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 11:27

For one portion of my backyard, I'm looking to plant the same single iris plant in different areas. My backyard colors are within the red, pink, purple, blue portion of the color spectrum....along with white.

I don't want anything too tall because of the tendency of the blooms to "fall over" in this clayish-type soil.

I'm curious to read your ideas.

I'm leaning toward the Dyke's winner "Everything Plus", but I'm open to other ideas.

Of course, I'm not ruling scattered groupings of the same 2 or 3 iris....so long as they would blend in with the color scheme.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple/Blue/White/Pink Iris Suggestion for My Backyard

Sometimes its hard to suggest things without knowing the rest of the story, so to speak. There are iris that are white, but some are bluish white and some are yellowish white, and they will look different depending on what they are planted with. Sometimes the bluish white ones can look sort of gray with the wrong companions. Everything Plus is nice and would be harder to figure out what would look good with it if you wanted to have a couple of iris together. I have Princess of Paradise which is sort of similar, and I have it planted with a dark purple NOID historic, Tom Johnson, and a orange iris, so not your color scheme. Some iris grow better in different parts of the country, and so it would be good to ask around where you are to see what grows well in your area. There are a lot of pink selections, and they range from orangy pinks to purpley pinks, and you might want to stay away from the orangy, coraly pinks depending on what else is in your garden. I saw a big bunch of Cherub's Smile at the Blue J gardens, and I thought it was really pretty, and isn't too peachy. I think a dark iris would be nice with the Everything Plus. I have Superstition, and it is a tough iris.

o

I haven't grown 'Everything Plus' (yet), but the iris in my garden that looks good with *everything* is 'Classic Look'. I've got it with peachy roses, dwarf pine, purple berberis and more.. It always looks sharp and clean and I never get tired of it.

o

I second "Classic Look" or perhaps for a few more ruffles "Rare Treat".

If you want a great rebloomer, plant "Recurring Dream." It blooms four times a year for me.

o

Another great rebloomer that is short is "Mariposa Autumn." It blooms like gangbusters. I like it because it goes well in the front of a bed.
Here is is at the end of November.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here