Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harryshoe

Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?

I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double Your Pleasure last October. In May we a got a great spring show.

Now I am thrilled to have multiple scapes appearing in July. What a great iris she is!

Comments (12)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I'll post so this will go away. Yes, she is still blooming.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I was just weeding the garden and, believe it or not, bloom number three is beginning! The plant has been resting for less than three weeks.

As this is my first and only Bearded Iris, I have no knowledge of the likelihood of repeat. I thought Bearded Iris were normally once bloomers.

No. I don't do anything special. Pure dumb luck.

Could someone give me some background information on iris repeat bloom.

Thanks

Harry

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

No info, but I would love it if my iris would bloom again. Their pretty flowers seem to come and go so fast. I have a couple that are said to be rebloomers, but it hasn't happened yet. You are lucky!

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

'Double Your Pleasure' is listed as a rebloomer. Nice to hear it's repeating a 3rd time. Especially in your zone where many fall rebloomers are nipped by frost.

. . . . often dependent on geographic location, climatic conditions and gardening practices. (at Schreiner's site)

Rebloomers need more feedng and watering than non-rebloomers. Some are more reliable than others. This link has many.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics and info on rebloomers

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is October 2nd and this iris is still blooming continuously since mid August! I just noticed two new scapes emerging.

I'm wondering if there is anything in the soil which might be a factor. The iris is in a raised bed which was a rose bed but now has a row of perennials in front. I put a lot of alfalfa on the roses and there is a great deal of organic matter from years of mulching.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Harry, is your iris perhaps 'Double Your Fun' by Aitken'00 - palest lavender standards with darker ribs, over maize yellow?

I was going to make a note of its everblooming behavior and now I can't find 'Double Your Pleasure'. Thanks.

Original Author
    9 years ago

OOPS

Yes iris-gal, it is indeed "Double Your Fun". Just found the tag. Sorry for the confusion.

I guess that jingle from Doublemint Gum has remained lodged in my old brain for the last 50 years.

Not only is this iris blooming like crazy, the mound is growing like crazy. It makes sense to divide.

Is it too late to divide now in zone 6?

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Harry, I'm in year-round-garden-chore CA. Doing a bit of dividing right now. I've heard cold winter zones need 1 1/2 months before the first frost. For roots to establish.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think it wise to divide while in full bloom. Maybe next August?

Here she is on October 9th. Nice company for the mums. She's reaching for the sky in the back.

This post was edited by harryshoe on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 12:09

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Hi, Harry! I'm really ruthless with my perennials, irises included. I've divided right up to frost, during the season in bloom, without any repercussions. Right now I have dozens waiting to be planted, sprouting their little hearts out, sitting in 1/4" of water in pails. I do this every year and every year they bloom and thrive.

Your DYF is lovely!

Jo

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Congrats on the triple flowering!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I know you are all sick of my posts.......but as I was removing leaves today covering the plant, guess what I found?

Two new scapes. Maybe if the weather holds, I'll have holiday iris.

Sponsored