Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planted my Shreiners iris-Ist Timer

Posted by gigim 8A (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 12:42

Got my first ever order from Shreiners last week and got them in the ground yesterday. Followed the planting instructions that came with and what I had read from the American Iris Society.

Wondering about watering - I know there are so many variables to consider but can anyone give me some guidelines to follow for the near future - should I keep them moist or let the ground dry out between waterings ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planted my Shreiners iris-Ist Timer

I suggest that you keep the ground damp while they get established. Especially if it is hot where you are located.

They don't like to be soaked all the time, but until they get some roots grown and down into the earth, they will need to be watered more frequently.

My established irises seem to be perfectly happy when I am a bit stingy with the water.

o
RE: Planted my Shreiners iris-Ist Timer

Most people suggest watering once, then letting the ground completely dry out. Do not keep them moist if it is hot and humid out or they will rot. I live in Southern California, and I only water my new irises once a week, if that, and less in truly hot, humid weather. The rot problem is why so many irisarians suggest potting new irises up and growing them in partial shade for the first two months until fall weather comes. I'm too lazy to do that, but I did save a rhizome that had begun to rot once by cleaning it up and following that advice, and it grew much better than my other new irises.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here