Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
irises choked out

Posted by sheetsl none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 13:14

My bearded iris have been choked out by purple coneflowers and black-eyed susans. They are heirloom irises that last bloomed about three years ago--at least 40 blooms. Since then, nothing. How do I help them? I am afraid to just pull up the other perennials because I am afraid that the irises will be destroyed. Should I dig up the entire bed and try to disentangle the rhizomes? Can I plant them somewhere else in the middle of the summer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: irises choked out

You won't kill the irises. It's time to dig them up and divide them anyway- tall bearded irises should be dug and divided every few years for maximum bloom.

You can also plant them in the middle of summer. Just don't water them too much if it gets very hot.

Check out the FAQ at the top of the iris forum for directions on how to divide.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ

o
RE: irises choked out

If you like books and pictures, there is a good page in "Growing Perennials in Cold Climates" by Heger and Whitman page 397 that shows pictures of rejuvenating an overgrown iris bed. I don't know if you are in a cold climate, but if so, this book could be available in your library. But FAQ link gives more detailed instructions about what to do with the irises after they are extricated. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here