Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this an iris?

Posted by KellyQSkier Maine (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 14:45

I saw this in my (unattended) back garden when we bought this hoise ten years ago. Based on the fan leaves, I assumed it was an iris that didn't have conditions to bloom, and didn't pay it any attention. Then this year, it appeared twenty feet away in my flower garden. When I looked at the root area more closely, it doesn't appear to be a typical Iris rhizome... Any one recognize it? And, is there any reason I should not just rip it all out? Since it jumped, I am assuming it is an invasive plant... (BTW, I do have dozens of lovely irises planted by the prior owner!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this an iris?

Does the fan look identical to your other iris fans? Do you allow the beardeds to form seed pods?

It looks very much like an iris from your picture. If it is a seedling bearded it will form a rhizome.

o

My nearby iris plants havent bloomed in quite a few years... I have just started to re-claim that area of the garden. But I do have a few bearded irises that have bloomed, and I do not always remove the spent flowers, so they may have produced seeds.

The leaves do fan much like an iris, but they seem floppier, and droop over a bit, where even the long-neglected irises are firm and tall. Maybe they are just younger plants. I will follow their growth.

o

It looks a lot like my Iris tectorum. However, it is more likely to be I. cristata, a native iris (the two species are related) Just a guess, but either would be interesting additions.

o

my black berry lilies kinda look like that.
They are a Iris, here is more pictures of them in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackberry Lily Database

This post was edited by pdsavage on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 7:35

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 7:41

It does look to have a creeping stalk like I cristata, and that type Iris doesn't bloom without sufficient sun, which considering it's a woodland species is surprising. That's why most colonies only have a few to no blooming plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here