Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dykes?

Posted by mikesc 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 14:50

Isn't the Dykes Medal usually announced in mid-July? Anyone have any ideas about this year's winner?

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dykes?

The voting deadline was changed for August 1. Winners probably won't be announced until after August 10. Likely to be between Florentine Silk and That's All Folks, with the former the favorite.

o

Florentine Silk has never done a thing for me here in SC Zone 8!

Mike

o

I have heard that a lot- but it appears that many people vote based on prettiness rather than garden-worthiness, despite the rules. I think 'That's All Folks!" is spectacular. The form of the iris is always good too. It performs well here in Southern California. I have not heard that about Florentine Silk. But it sure is pretty!

o

Florentine Silk didn't look very happy at Blue J's, either, at least not the one that I noticed. I had to look up That's All Folks!, and it is really something. Well, we'll have to wait and see. We can always "vote with our pocketbooks", as they say.

o

Yes, the weird thing is that both FS's parents grew reasonably well for me. I don't have "That's All Folks," but Mr Maryott is such a nice guy (have dealt w/ him re: daylilies) that it would be nice to see him win a Dykes!

Mike

o

Based on performance in my garden, more than 75% of Dykes medal winners since 1960 should not be awarded ANY medal, let alone Dykes. The list of varietes that did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING before dying is impressively long. Just to mention a few: New Moon, Kilt Lilt, Mystique. Terrible rotters: Jesse's song, Silverado, Mary Frances. The list of performers is pretty short: Dusky Challenger, Song of Norway, Stepping out, Amethyst Flame, Victoria Falls, Before the storm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here