Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soft rhizomes

Posted by hibiscusfan 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 14:58

I noticed a couple soft rhizomes in my iris bed. Does that mean I have borers? I dug them up and did not see any borers in them. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soft rhizomes

Are you letting the soil dry out between deep waterings? Have you had iris a long time and is this the first time it's happened?

We don't have borers, thank heavens, here. The FAQ may have information on that. Or a search will bring up old posts on the subject.

They can get rot which turns the rhizomes to mush and has an awful smell. Keep them on the dry side and see what happens. If they get really soft dig and trash.

o

Now I see your other post (leaf spot) and that you are having rain. Send some this way!

Good drainage is essential to beardeds. The tops of the rhizomes should be exposed rather than covered with dirt or other plants. Are they too deep?

o

It could also be just the mother rhizomes rotting away. Is there a horrible smell with the rot? If there is then it is more than likely bacterial soft rot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here