Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
buds turned brown, never flowered

Posted by terriebari 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 15:28

Hi
I have several irises in my garden. Some have never bloomed, others are absolutely stunning.

This year, I had one that got really big and healthy-looking, and grew two buds. The buds turned brown and I never got flowers, just dead looking brown tips. I did not overwater- in fact, there is another iris right next to it which gave me about 6 gorgous, gigantic blooms.

Now that some time has passed, the once healthy looking stem and leaves for the plant that never bloomed is starting to look kind of yuck.y The leaves are brown in some spots, and it's droopy.

Should I cut the fan back, and hope for the best for next year? What else should I do/not do?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: buds turned brown, never flowered

Are they brown and mushy, or just dried and brown. Brown and mushy usually means rot. I had a couple of Iris buds not bloom because there were some unusual cold spells in late April / early May this year that killed the forming bud.

Carlos

o

honestly, I'm not sure. I don't think they were mushy initially, but I didn't touch them so can only go by what I think I saw.

Right now, some of the greenery is droopy and some turned yellow. will trimming it back hurt it?

thanks

o

Drooping leaves is usually associated with overcrowding. How long ago did you plant them? Iris need to be divided every 3 to 5 years. As far as trimming, I usually just trim leaves that are unhealthy or simply pull them off, provided the leaf is next on the base of the rhizome.

Carlos

o

My entire garden is new. I believe I planted year before last

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here