Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you pot iris?

Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 18:43

Hello, I have four iris orders that I placed this year (about 70 rizomes total) and was wondering if I would be able to keep them potted for the time being? The reason is, after placing the orders, we decided to build a new house and I would hate to plant them and then have to either dig them up or leave them. I'm looking for the easiast way to bring them with me in about 5 months or so when the house is finished. Thanks for your help and advice :)

Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you pot iris?

I've potted them, but on a more temporary basis (only a few weeks), but I know people have grown them in pots so I don't see why not. Scroll down to the bottom of the article about growing irises in containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing irises

o

You can certainly keep them for a year potted. The main problems are space, food and soil temps.

Beardeds want to travel to new soil and new nutrients. And soil temps. in plastic pots in the sun get hot!

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 16:42

Great! Hopefully our house gets finished pretty quick. I guess if it comes down to it, I can plant them along the back side of our barn which will be finished in a couple of weeks :) I'd really like to see some of them bloom next spring!

Tammy

o

I would try potting them up and then putting the pots in the ground somewhere. This would help roots keep cool during this hot time of year. You could then just pull the pots later and move them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here