Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan3421

Epson Salts

Jan3421
15 years ago

It's been years since I've used any on my iris, but remember I did and now can't remember when (at what time of year) & what for. Any advice out there appreciated. Thanks, Jan

Comments (5)

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Jan,
    Have not used it on iris yet but Epsom Salts is magnesium. That is a catalyst for many plant processes.

I have used a homemade fertilizer made from epsom salts, beer, & ammonia to get stubborn Christmas Cactus to bloom.

It will also help plants begin to absorb other nutrients, produce chloriphyl, start new growth and many other plant activities. Everything I put that homemade fertilizer on kicked into growth and/or set buds within one week of the 1st application.

• covella
    15 years ago

What proportions did you use Berrytea4me?
    Did you dilute it with water or was beer the primary liquid?

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Oh, yes you dilute it with water. It actually goes a long way.

Here is the recipe:
    12 oz. of beer
    1/2 cup household ammonia
    1 cup Epsom salts
    2 cups of water (making a quart or so)

for epiphyllum diluted to 1 Tbsp. (1/2 fl. oz.) in a gallon of water used every two weeks. Double strength for other plants.

I have seen a similar recipe specifically for daylilies. Have never seen anyone mention using it on iris though. My experience with other plants is that they usually love it.

• janinecollette
    15 years ago

Sounds like a great recipe! Can this be used on most flowers?

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

janinecollette,
    Yes, I use it on everything. Have not noticed anything that did not like it. Really greens plants up and develops buds in a hurry.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting