Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris leaf stalks bitten off at base? Whodunnit?

Posted by njcbrand Zone 8 (Charlotte) (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 20:19

I was visiting my mom in coastal Virginia and her iris have a bizarre problem. Hundreds of them have been bitten--really looks like large teeth marks by a very small mouth--at the very base of the leaves, so the leaves are lying on the ground, some completely severed, some only halfway, some with a half-moon shaped bite at the edge, the size of half-a-nickel. What on earth can be doing this? She's frantic, as they all came from my grandma's garden. Thanks in advance for helping to ID the culprit!! (We haven't checked the tubers yet--too hot outside)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris leaf stalks bitten off at base? Whodunnit?

Deers?

o
RE: Iris leaf stalks bitten off at base? Whodunnit?

Since the bite marks are so tiny (just the size of a half-nickel) I don't think it's deer. We poked around under them and there are a few small tunnels . . . once we find out who's eating them, I'll need tips on humane, organic repellant (red pepper? cayenne? used kitty litter?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here