Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hensinthehouse

'Dauntless' vs. 'Indian Chief'

sherry Austin
11 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone can explain the difference between 'Dauntless' and 'Indian Chief'. Pictures I've seen look very similar.

I'd like to ID this Iris I've had on the property since I moved here many years ago.. I'd say it's under 30".. Very prolific in bloom and increases quickly in size. I think it's probably one of them... or??

Comments (8)

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, it's taller.. I just looked at some other pictures I have and think it's about 34" tall.

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

It is so hard to tell with the historic irises. It's also hard to tell when you look at a photo as opposed to real life. Cameras tend to do odd things with purples and reds, and no camera is the same as another. On the hips-roots site Dauntless is listed as a bit taller than Indian Chief. Indian Chief is listed as being "bronzy maroon" whereas Dauntless is listed as being red with no hint of purple. Indian Chief is listed as being prolific. Take a look and tell us what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic iris Preservation Gallery

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have looked at the HIPS site.. Not having grown both to compare, it's hard to decide. It is very floriferous, yet I think of it as more red, yet the standards have a hint of lavender. It blooms in shade too, as seen here with Clematis 'Niobe'..
    I've been deceived enough over the years by color descriptions in catalogs to not trust someone's description or perception of a color as the only marker.. But you're right about the pictures colors too..

• jeanrichter
    11 years ago

I would say your iris is Indian Chief, particularly if it has a wire rim of fall color on the standards. My impression of Dauntless is that it's redder than Indian Chief, and the standards and falls are more similarly-colored than Indian Chief (i.e. Dauntless is more like a self - Indian Chief is definitely a bicolor). Indian Chief is one of the most weed-like iris I grow - very prolific!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Love your clematis!

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

I wondered if you had already looked at the site. I agree with you about others' descriptions not matching one's own, especially the descriptions of the folks who are selling the iris. The description of Dauntless said it was a "self", but it didn't look that way to me I guess, so I just read over that. It does look really nice with the clematis.

• jeanrichter
    11 years ago

On the HIPS web site there is a 1931 catalog description of Dauntless which includes: "The color is red and it is a self color. The falls appear darker than the standards because of their velvety quality."

Catalog descriptions vary widely in quality and accuracy. After a while you get to know which ones are reliable and which aren't (and don't get me started on catalog picture accuracy! :-) Quality Gardens, the source of the above quote, is one of the good ones of that period.

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!
    I think I"m going with Indian Chief based on it's vigor and durability. I'm going to look for a bronze cast when it blooms next spring..Sometimes we don't see such things until someone points it out..

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms