Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
min_mn

?Ideas? Iris that smells like rootbeer.

min_mn
18 years ago

ABout 10-15 years ago at a previous residence I had a bearded iris that was some shade of rust or brown or copper. It had a fragrance that seemed very much like rootbeer.

No, I wasn't nuts. My husband and kids thought so also.

I don't recall its name. We got the iris from an elderly lady in Golden Valley, MN. She is deceased and her iris business is not longer in existance.

Any ideas?

Comments (17)

• ridgerunner14_wv
    18 years ago

How about Picador? My daughter and I both think mine smells just like rootbeer. Good luck with finding your iris. Darleen :)

• randy_ca
    18 years ago

The classic bronze 'Inca Chief' has a strong, sweet fragrance definitely like that of root beer.
    The color of the flower also reminds one of that beverage!

• min_mn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the ideas.
    Inca Chief sounds familiar, I'm going to try that.

Also, I like the colors of Picador - lovely - I'll try that, too.
    I've got room for 5 varieties. :)

• rroberts
    18 years ago

Keith Chadwick of Sand Hallow Garden in Napa Idaho has one that he will be calling Root Beer. We saw it when we visited the garden in May

Ruth

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

I love questions like this. I find fragrance in iris to be a fascinating subject.

Ridgerunner, what a gorgeous picture of Picador.

• ridgerunner14_wv
    18 years ago

I'm glad that you liked the picture. I've only had Picador for a few years, but it is already becoming a favorite.

Darleen :)

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

this seems to be common? there is a white one where i work, old farmsteads with left over flowers. this white iris smells like root beer!

• only1joanie
    18 years ago

September Sailor which is a rebloomer smells like root beer. You can go on-line just put in the iris name and it will bring up who carries it. There are some that smell like grape also. Southland Grape, Grapette, Grape Adventure.

• calpat
    18 years ago

Thank Goodness, I'm not crazy! Everytime I've asked at nurseries for the iris that smells like rootbeer, they look at me like I'm nuts. I've seen it, I had it, but had to leave it behind when I sold my home. Thanks for supplying names & suppliers! Pat

• min_mn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

When I was checking things out this is what I found:

http://www.riverview-iris-gardens.com/listI.htm

http://www.riverview-iris-gardens.com/listPB.htm

Inca Chief is the first link and picador is the 2nd one. They say they have 9,000 varieties!??!

According to the web page instructions, ignor the right column.
    If they are out of it, the price column will say so.
    I think that is what I recall reading, but it was 2 weeks ago.

Hope this helps.

M in MN

• User
    17 years ago

I've got a Rust colored Iris that smells like Rootbeer that I received from a neighbor a year ago, however I don't know the name of it. Quite pretty it is don't know how to add a photo here but if you'd like I can e-mail a photo of it. Next year I may divide some of them.

• carlos42180
    17 years ago

GINGERSNAP is said by Schreiner's to be their only iris to have a rootbeer scent.

• User
    17 years ago

Thanks Carlos, I went to Schreiners website and it appears that Gingersnap is what I have although mine look a bit lighter in color but pictures can be a bit off. They do smell like Rootbeer. A grower in Northern Michigan (the Iris Farm - Traverse City Mi.) does have a purple iris that too smells like rootbeer not quite as strong as Gingersnap. They don't have a web site but their phone and address is Iris Farm 5385 E. Traverse Hwy. Traverse City, MI. 49684 Phone- (231)947-9040 My wife and I went up 2 years ago at blooming time 5 acres of Wow and placed a order they (then) charged $5.00 per rhizome (for any) and the rhiazomes were huge that we received.

• floann7_earthlink_net
    15 years ago

I have Iris that smell like rootbeer, licorice, apricot, chocolate, creamsicle, orange peel, cream soda, nutmeg etc. Looking for others -

• possumpony
    15 years ago

I have one like you describe that smells like rootbeer also. It doesnt look like the pic posted either. I think it is a historic but corresponding with Schreiners I have found they too are at a loss as to the identity. I would love to know what it is and as soon as mine bloom come spring I will post pics.

• min_mn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Margie, When I posted this in 2005, folks suggested iris to try. I bought one of the suggestions, but it was not as distinctively root beer as the one I left behind. We moved again, and I'll try again next year. I hope you enjoy your 'root beer'.

Sponsored