Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Louisian Iris question with pics

Posted by clbravo z8 LA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 23:06

I e-mailed this to a iris farmer in Louisiana. Wanted to get opinions from fellow gardeners.

Dear Sirs:

I have a pond directly behind my home in Covington, LA. On one end is planted a solid line of yellow flag irises. I am interested in moving these from the pond and massing in a bed off the pond. I want to replace them with Louisiana iris that I will purchase from you. Here are my questions.

You mention the optimum time to plant and divide is late summer. I would need to coordinate moving the yellow flags and then replacing with newly purchased rhizomes. I would guess I have a total of 100 ft line that need to be moved. I think even with my one day a week partime help, and myself, this is a big job. I do have a backhoe but would not want to disturb the area that will be replanted, perhaps using my trusted spade. Is this reasonable to due within the optimum time window?

I have heard some Louisiana irises can dominate others. Can you successfully mix colors without having one eventually takeover. What would you suggest.

Lastly, 2 years ago I planted LA irises in an area mixed with some old garden roses. The affect is beautiful in the spring for a short time. The foliage of my white and yellow colors really is suffering this time of year. Can I cut back or do you recommend anything else to help the health of the plants.

Depending on your suggestion of the yellow flags when do I order there replacements from you.

Thanks for your help.

Clint
Covington, LA

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/clbravo/roses and irises/?action=viewt=DSC05740.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/clbravo/Abbey Gates pics/AssortedSpring2008027.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Louisian Iris question with pics

I am assuming your yellow flag is i. pseudacorus. They can be invasive, particularly if close to water. The best way to get rid of a stand without digging is to spray them with Roundup broadleaf, brush control. After the foliage has turned yellow, mow it down. If new shoots come up, spray again. This is what I do with overgrown LAs as well. It is virtually impossible to keep LAs separated unless you plant them three or four feet apart and pull out excess plants yearly. When a bed becomes overgrown, I pull out what I want to keep while it is in bloom, pot it, and put the pot in a kiddie wading pool. I do not unpot until late September or October. I do not think it wise to divide LAs in the summer unless you are going to pot them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here