Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Post Your Reds!

hosenemesis
13 years ago

I'll start.

This is Rip City, which is a translucent brick-red. It is a great increaser, and gets about 38" high:

Lady Friend, an early bloomer. It's a funky reddish rose, and turns a bit terra cotta by evening. Here it is with Frequent Flyer:

{{gwi:650218}}

With Beverly Sills

{{gwi:621519}}

Do you have any reds?

Renee

Comments (21)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

I need some reds.

• Nancy
    13 years ago

I have Lady Friend, I love your clump shot. I only have a couple fans, can't wait til it grows more.
    Other than that, my reds are mostly maroon:
    Cannonball

Christable is kinda red
    {{gwi:1035405}}

Cranapple
    {{gwi:1015843}}

Eternal Fire, a little blurry

Frank Adams

Pass the Wine

Shortmann's Garnet Ruffles

Whoop em Up

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Here is a couple of mine.

Denise

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Sorry about my english. I meant here are a few of mine.

By the way can anyone ID these?

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mmmm, Pass the Wine! I love that iris. Is it an arilbred?
    Denise, someone should have an idea about your irises- that first one looks especially distinctive. I really like it.
    Renee

• gypsysparrow
    13 years ago

I think this one counts!
    Tropical Butterfly

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Actually, I think Pass the Wine is listed as a tall bearded. I think it might really look better if I had it in a better spot, my monarda insists on crowding it.

• georgia_teacher
    13 years ago

Renee, you know I am a sucker for reds. Just wish they really came in red.:( Here is Dynamite. It's the only one that bloomed this year. It's really pretty, but I am disappointed in the color.

I had one other "reddish" one, but it was more purpley.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dynamite is pretty- even if it is burgundy rather than red. I got Winesap a month ago, and here it is, putting up a little plum red colored bloom already.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful:

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I always find reds very dissapointing in that they are not really red. Not saying the iris doesn't turn out to be pretty but never red enough for me. I guess its like blue in daylilies. They call them blue but they never are. You have to use your immagination, ha, ha.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, that's why we grow roses and daylilies though, right?
    Renee

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

I have to have lots going on in the garden. Would never be happy with only one crazies anyway. This way when one finishes I have another to look forward to. Between my roses, iris and daylilies I have something either blooming or blooming soon until fall.

It's funny how a color so strong in one, like blue in iris, is so hard to get in another like the daylilies. And as for red I have lots of red daylilies.

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

For some reason, I have haven't had a lot of luck with red iris. Most have not made it through the winter for me. I added several 'Cristabel' last year and it looks like they made it though and 2 actually flowered this year. I keep testing them...hopefully I will find a few more that like zone 2.

I also have lots of red daylilies and a few red roses.

Sierra

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, Sierra, zone 2b. Do you grow the siberian irises?

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

Renee, Sorry I lost connectivity to the internet yesterday and it just came back up now. Hopefully it is fixed now.

Yes I have a large collection of siberian iris as well. I haven't counted them to know how many for sure.

I also have one Japanese iris that has been doing well for several years.....comes through the winters and blooms reliably.

And ya I live in a funny zone 2 area..very short gardening season. Last frost date approx June 6th and first frost date is usually around the end of Aug. There is also usually a couple frosty morning in the summer as well. Plants are pretty tough for the most part. Tenders like beans have to be grown in the greenhouse.

Sierra

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

My Reds:

Ransom Note:
    {{gwi:1035413}}

Raptot Red:

War Chief::
    {{gwi:662388}}

Lady Friend
    /organic_kitten/spring2010/?action=view&current=IMG_9603.jpg" target="_blank">

kay

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oooh- Raptor Red looks like velvet. But Ransom Note is such a pretty color. I'm looking for more reds this year- so this is great.
    Renee

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Renee,
    I really loved the way that Ransom Note looked. It is my favorite red.
    kay

• flower_addict88
    13 years ago

Here are multiple photos of Sultan's Palace.

Ransom Note

Apollodorus

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful photography, floweraddict. Apollodorus is my favorite so far. How does it show up in the garden?
    I love the subtle colors- but sometimes those irises are the ones that get lost in the riot of oranges and yellows in my garden.
    Renee

• flower_addict88
    13 years ago

Honestly, Apollodorus was not what I expected it to be. I have long learned that Schreiner's photos aren't exactly as they will appear in your own garden.

I have since lost most of these TBs. When I replace them I will not be buying Apollodorus again. It looked better after being open for a few days. Most of my TBs are insanely bright or have tons of ruffles. Also, large flowers. Apollodorus just didn't stick out with them.

However, I think it would be a nice TB with less bright colors.

Sponsored