Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

transfering my irises

v1rt
15 years ago

Hi,

I bought irises back in June. I planted them in an area where it gets sunlight starting 3pm. I read that Iris should be put in FULL SUN location. I'm planning to transfer them tomorrow. However, is it right time to transfer them now? Average HI is 83F and average LOW is 60F. Thanks! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The iris is somewhere in the middle of the picture and to the right.

{{gwi:246262}}

Comments (9)

• marvine
    15 years ago

Go ahead and move them, you will be glad you did.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How far should I plant them? Is 1 foot enough? I want to get thick next year, what should I do?

Also, in my new garden bed(empty), should they be put in the first row?

Thanks!

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

They need 6 weeks before your first frost to get a root system. So if you can dig soil with the roots they'll be off to an even better start in the new sunnier location.

3 feet apart is advised for tall beardeds. Some cultivars are more vigorous than others (which you will see) so 1 foot may be a bit close (they will need replanting sooner).

Beardeds' rhizomes travel in the direction of the leaf-end of the rhiz. I plant them in front of/or between roses with other equal height things amongst, or should I say I stick an iris where it will fit amongst roses and perrenials? I prefer to have something low in front of them ie. alyssum.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I posted this at peren forum. What do you think about my plans? Iris in front then my 2 global arborvitae at the back?

{{gwi:259504}}

Also, based from what you said, iris spread. Am I correct?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Also, in my new garden bed(empty), should they be put in the first row?

That would depend upon what classification they are. Per the link below, Tall Bearded varieties have bloomstalks ranging from 27.5" to 42".

Do you know the classification or name of your irises?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: The Classifications of Bearded Irises

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Honestly, nope. The person just gave it to me when I bought hostas from her. I can take a picture later after I transfer it. I think the leaves right now are 20 to 24 inch long and are 1 inch wide.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I'm sorry. I must have been asleep at the keyboard when I posted above. The virtual pic you posted above did not register with me as being yours...duh.

I'd think whatever height they are, they would be fine in front of your global arborvitae.

Sue

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My wife ruined my day today. All my plans didn't happen. It was only the iris that I was able to transfer to the garden bed. I've already started digging the hole for the g. arborvitae then she saw me. She told me she doesn't want it there. HUH?!!!

So I just kept quiet and asked her where she wants it. It ended up being planted beside the aircon condenser. Then the other one, it ended being planted near the spigot and water meter. Well, that's what she wants.

Oh well :( She's always right!!!

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

You are a good man virtuOs!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz